Thread: Late season goats duffey lake?

Late season goats duffey lake?

Looking for anyone with experience goat hunting around duffey lake (cayoosh range) in October. I had this draw a couple years ago and took a nice goat in September and swore if I did it again I'd hold out for longer hair. I'd like to go up thanksgiving weekend for 4 days. That would be Oct 7 8 9 and 10 this year. Any input you have about typical snow levels that time of year would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Late season goats duffey lake?

Little bump to see if anyone has anything

guest Guest

What Zone ....... I can tell you some of the scary shat we've gotten into at end of Sept. In that area Was down right crazy slippery with frost alone. We did hunt it with 8 inches on the hills, once, and passed on a couple in positions I'd rather not loose my life over. .....took pics instead. A few have said ...... wait till as late as possible as the big Bills may get rutting and get into more Accessable areas down lower, and that it was easier to traverse the slopes in deep snow ....... Well those slides there are not avalanche shutes for nothing. Billys, Jerrygoat and a few others on here do crazy shat with crampons I think as late as Feb in Reg 6.... No thanks, I want to some day hunt with my grand kids. I always wanted a long haired Billy too, I guess I don't want one that bad. Lol
    Good luck to you. I'm looking for easier ones these days, I hope.

CT

Not sure about your area and season dates but to me late season means the end of November. Goats are usually on winter range by that time and are easier to access with proper gear.

Crampons give amazing footing and a solid, early snow base is generally much safer than icy rock.
    Last edited by labguy; 06-18-2017 at 07:15 AM.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

I hear ya labguy and I agree. However my draw is only good until Oct 31 and il only get one chance to get away so I'd like to use the long weekend to my advantage and take a 3 or 4day weekend.

I've encountered snow up there on Sep 1 in that area .... i don't think i'd want to be caught in an October blizzard up there.