Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bulkley and Skeena Rivers Closed

Re: Bulkley and Skeena Rivers Closed

Quote Originally Posted by S.W.A.T. View Post
    I'm all for industry and I understand it would effect many lively hoods but maybe it's time to slow down on the commercial fishery
    As long as we share the Pacific with China, and the rivers with Indian Bands, we're doomed.

It's a Tragedy of the Commons, Diner's Dilemma.

Ride it out and take what you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

I feel bad for the people up there who's business depends on fishing/fisherman.I think you will see more FOR SALE signs this season?

Bought a new fly set up yesterday, talking with the shop owner who I spend several dollars at every year was wondering why I haven't come in yet, says business is down 75%. Wondering how the guides are surviving

This too will be blamed on the NDP. It's meant to be a joke, but not really.....
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Did anyone take time find out the reasoning by DFO?

Dear Members,

On June 15, 2017, Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) arbitrarily closed the Skeena River to recreational salmon fishing, while allowing ocean harvest and First Nations fisheries. Originally DFO had advised that Skeena closures would be due to low salmon abundance.

On June 23 the DFO informed Vancouver Sun reporter Gordon Hoegstra that the fisheries were closed due to potential conflict between First Nations fishing nets and recreational anglers.

Please add your voice using this draft letter to the Minister calling for fair treatment for resident food fisheries. The Federation calls on Minister LeBlanc to reserve this decision and retain fair access to the resource for all Canadians. We will continue to stand up for the rights of resident anglers to fish for food.
    Download the letter here.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Did anyone take time find out the reasoning by DFO?
    Low return,

River opened on Saturday though

If anyone gets Noel Gygers emails you can access lots of information ...Some of which is the current and past test fisheries.....These show a very disturbing low number of fish returning to the Skeena River..Any idiot can see that the fishery is in trouble..Causes are many ....too many to list or argue about but ...Don't count on good fishing for awhile ...Dennis

DFO management is not the issue. Global warming contributing to declining salmon runs - what can they do? Also, closing ocean fisheries (where in a lot of cases only a very small percentage of the catch may be heading for the river in trouble) might make you feel good, but it doesn't get the job done, and causes all kinds of disruption to the ocean fishery, including all three sectors.