Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elk Draw for 2-08b Pitt River Advice

Elk Draw for 2-08b Pitt River Advice

Hi all,

My hunting partners son was the lucky recipient for a tag for a Elk in 2-08b (Pitt River)
    I believe the tag is for October.
    I said that I would ask on the site to see if people here have any advice or knowledge for hunting/locating
    elk in the area up there when the season comes around.
    I think there were only 2 tags handed out?(and I think it was their 2nd choice....2-08a Indian Arm was 1st).
    So, now that they have it, they want to make the best of it.
    Also, is there any advice on who rent "barges" or something that they can get their Quads up there.
    The other option is to pick up 2 old dirt bikes and use their boat, but quads would be too big, and they do not
    own a Jet Boat.

Anyways, if any of you would be willing to offer advice please pm me so that I can pass it on to them in hopes that they can have some success possibly....a once in a lifetime opportunity I guess you could say.

Thanks BMI

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk Draw for 2-08b Pitt River Advice

That is hilarious they got Pitt as 2nd choice

EDIT: I apologize for the snappy answer. Just bummed about another skunk for me. Congrats on the best draw in the province. I'd start investing time in planning now! Enjoy!
    Last edited by Asco; 06-16-2017 at 10:12 PM.
    ἀλήθεια

Make like a baby and head out!

If you have a Indian arm tag get a key talk to the band..
    Take two weeks and make sure you down it...no big cingulate is a slam dunk I recommend start scouting now.

My hunting partner had this draw last year and we spent a week up there. Got his bull on day 6 and the other guy that had the 2nd draw was not successful. We did alot of scouting and got to know the area well. Pm me tonight and ill get ya some info you should know about.

I bought a crf230f to take across the lake in my boat to go grizz hunting this spring, I'm done with it now, maybe you want to by it to go elk hunting with it, i even have a chainsaw bracket to carry chain saw on it.

My hunting partner has the second tag. Get up there and spend some time and you will find them. There are people on the lake who run barges but it won't be cheap. Keep in mind the Elk hang around a lot of private property down low. The cops are up there a fair amount and send guys on dirt bikes/quads with no insurance or helmets to park them. Tie up on the old outside dock and not in someone's spot on the main dock, I would also ask the winder driver where they are hauling out if as it can be steep in some areas and not wide enough for two trucks. Have fun, it's a special tag.

Thank you all for the replies and pm's and advice.
    Amazing the amount of help people here are willing to give/share.
    I have passed on the info to them, and I know they will be in touch with a few of you on here.
    I hope that they make the best of this opportunity that they have been given.
    Thank You all BMI

Just an update, my friend and his son had success today, also on their 6th hunt day, and there last day of the trip.
    I did go up with him near beginning of Sept, to take a look around (on foot), and we rearranged his cam, and did
    get 2 decent bulls on cam, 1 of which I think was posted on facebook by brian, that was taken, and another respectable
    bull.
    So, it was good to do some leg work.
    My friend did place the cam at another location, after that trip (which is when we got those 1st cam pics), and set it up
    a what looked like a decent well used wallow.
    Sadly, on his next trip up with his son and daughter, some A-hole stole it!...
    So, if you happen to be on this site (not sayin that individual is, but if you are), you a real piece of work!
    Anyways, they did take a bull, not the one they tried to pursue, but, we talked before hand, and he wanted to just have
    success, and a memory for him and his son...so....1 in the hand is better then 2 in the bush....
    Lots of Elk meat!, and a decent mount for a lifetime of memories.
    Not sure if I will get permission to post pics?....will have to see....
    But, I do want to offer a thank you once again to fellow forum members, who offered open advice, to those that also
    offer pm's and phone numbers (although, I think my friend just called up Brian?), but none the less, thanks to all for
    helping make it a success.
    I never met Brian, but a thanks to him as well, as he seems to have the "inside scoop" in that area for sure.
    And, although I don't think they are on this site at all, to the 2 households up there that really helped out with their
    stay, and heck, even a vehicle to use!!!
    I know my friend has joined me for several elk hunts over the years in the EK, but it's been a while, and I think he realized
    just how hard it get be to get one of the "big boys w/cows" to come in or to get a bull to step out in the open for a
    proper shot!
    Anyways, the opportunity presented itself today, the last day (although he may have done a couple weekend hunts?),
    so, it was done...
    Interesting enough, it might be the 2nd bull we got on the cam at times, but I will have to look at it harder for comparison.
    Now...if I can just get that draw!....just once!.....but thanks everyone.

And what a cranker!!
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Yup seen the pics on Facebook. Nice bull that's for sure. Bc hunting and fishing
    Last edited by swampdonkey; 10-17-2017 at 12:06 PM.