Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rattle snakes in the okanagan

Rattle snakes in the okanagan

I'll be hunting in the okanagan this fall what can i wear to protect me? Do carhart pants work? What about an anti venom shot is there such a thing?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rattle snakes in the okanagan

Ask your partner to suck the poison out. Hope you don't get bit on the main vein

In all seriousness it's not a common occurrence. I've never run across one hunting

I would not worry about it. More likely to get a tick then a rattler bite.ive only had 1 strike at me and that was last september.
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

http://www.bcreptiles.ca/snakes/n_pacificrattle.htm

http://www.chigiy.com/the_gardeners_...ttlesnake.html

a couple of links I found interesting

https://wildsafebc.com/rattlesnake/

from this one above
    Rattlesnake bites are very rare in British Columbia and are almost never fatal. Most snake bites are due to people deliberately trying to handle or harm rattlesnakes. The most important thing to remember is to get the victim to the hospital.
    If you are bitten:
    1. Stay calm and remove yourself from the area. Move slowly or be carried.
    2. Remove any constrictive clothing or jewelry, which otherwise would act as a tourniquet and concentrate the venom and prevent fresh blood from entering the area (which is not desirable).
    3. Go to the nearest hospital. Phone ahead if possible, or phone 911. Preferably, have someone else drive you.
    4. Mark swelling with lines and times every 10 minutes or so. This will help doctors assess the severity of the bite.
    5.If necessary, you may clean the bite area to prevent further infection.
    6. Do not:
    · Apply a tourniquet
    · Make an incision
    · Attempt to suck out the venom
    · Ice the wound
    · Kill the snake
    · Bring the snake to the hospital. Snakes are protected by law and doctors do not need to identify a snake to treat snakebite in BC.

I have bumped a dozen or so in my time. Usually hear them before you see them. If your wearing your hiking boots and pants you will most likely be ok (carharts are fine). The only place that an issue may arise is if you are climbing and placing hands blindly and surprise the snake. Doesn't hurt to do some reading should you be unlucky, but I wouldn't stress it too much. Good luck.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Good numbers around the Thompson River between Ashcroft and Wallichin. See them often while fishing. Been followed by an aggressive one that made me abandon my shady nap area. Never been struck at though. A bite would hamper your day...

In the Okanagan I wouldn't worry about it. I've lived here for 50 years and have only run into 3 and only one was aggressive.

snakes everywhere sssssssssstay away
    I can tell ya, but you know I' ll be lying to you!!!!

Some around Vernon on the south sides.relatives hiking have run into a few this year.Deep lk,Cozens bay,and probaly the Rise/Canadian Lakeview.

If you're out a lot. And it's hot out and on the South sides you may run into a few.i personally don't know anyone whose been bitten............and I'm definitely no expert.i steer clear of those things