Thread: AP Lures

AP Lures

Well the annual north island fishing trip is quickly approaching and I like to buy something new and shiny every year and I was going to buy the summer spring set from AP Lures.

Anyone use these before any other suggestions on something tried and true or new to the market doesn't matter?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: AP Lures

Where on the north Island you heading to?

Have used the AP lures locally and they do well, not sure if they are far and above anything else? The best 'new' lure I have used this spring are the Kingslayer Spoons and they are great quality. Also have caught fish this spring on hoochies (white glow and green splatterback) and a variety of spoons. Haven't fished bait yet this year as we haven't needed to. I think with any new lure.....people are going to fish them and they will catch fish. The "new lure" 3 years ago that caught lots of fish goes on the backburner because you are running the newer stuff....and then the hype happens. My go to flasher teaser head combo was a Boogie Man flasher and a purple/black/chrome teaser head.....caught tons of fish for me. I got hooked by new fancy colors and don't fish it anymore but for nostalgia's sake, it IS going down this year.

I think the big thing is cut your first fish open and have a look at what's in the guts.

New lures catch more fisherman than fish for the most part. When fishing Kyuquot I have a big box of all types of lures, when it comes down to it I will run about 4 or 5 different set ups over a trip and that's it.
    Last edited by MB_Boy; 06-15-2017 at 09:24 AM.

I've never run any AP gear, but I picked up a couple of plugs from the Bingo Bug folks, and have high hopes. Whenever things are tough, I usually drop a big ugly plug to the bottom and see what I can scare up, be it halli of smiley, and it seems to work more often then not

I was talking to my dad last night--he's guiding out of Kyuquot--and he was saying that the old standard "purple haze" hoochie has been effective, but the boys are running black boxes, and that seems to be key. Whatever the case, it seems to change daily. Me, I like to look at the water color when I'm out there, and then choose a contrasting setup.

Three weeks until I get my line wet, so it's time to visit the tackle shop.
    A conservationist is an environmentalist with a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeStandMan View Post

I was talking to my dad last night--he's guiding out of Kyuquot--and he was saying that the old standard "purple haze" hoochie has been effective, but the boys are running black boxes, and that seems to be key. Whatever the case, it seems to change daily. .
    Ain't that the truth. Was in Tofino for one of our annual 3-4 day trips last year I think....one day, we were going crazy on plugs, next day not a sniff and moved to bait and plastic.

In Kyuquot or anywhere on the WCVI....I often just run a blue/chrome spoon in a 5.0 size and it works just fine.

heading out of hardy. I fully realize the marketing ploy. You really dont need anuthing other than an army truck hoochie but my dad and I buy something new every year to try. We've looked into the black box and it's pretty expensive but I don't think it works with the nylon.

I honestly just love using chovies. But it's nice to try something when the kelp gets bad or it's a bit slow out.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie_horse View Post

I honestly just love using chovies. But it's nice to try something when the kelp gets bad or it's a bit slow out.
    Give the AP's a try...they may work well. Likely too late to get Kingslayer's as they are custom order out of WA state. I bought a few of the Luhr Jensen Flash Fly's to try this year. Teaser head for me last year was a green glow on the bottom with sort of brown scale pattern on the top side....bullet roll style. Wedge a 5-6" herring into the head, check the roll and it was my go to in Kyuquot. That and a pearled glow hoochie....sadly had a sea lion with my fish break it off.

The Gibbs Skinny G spoon in white/chartreuse/green glow has been good this spring and also look at Pesca spoons, their glow qualities are astounding.
    Last edited by MB_Boy; 06-15-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Throw a herring in the Chevy teaser head? I just caught your black chrome purple teaser head of choice. My 3 biggest salmon have been caught on that teaser head in dark water.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie_horse View Post
    Throw a herring in the Chevy teaser head?.
    Yup, I never use the herring teaser heads. In saying that I never go beyond a 6" herring but prefer 5".

Went and bought some lures I'll let you know how they do

Hardy in 3 weeks, will be fishing the standard red/silver flasher and glow green teaser.....as I already knows it works. Option is purple haze flasher and teaser. All this if I fish bait.

Otherwise, 50/50 Gibbs spoons, blue/green or glow white squirts and the "secret" weapon, which has caught more tyee than everything but bait....Bait Buster.

When I was in the tackle selling business, we had a saying that 95% of all tackle was designed to catch one thing and it wasn't fish........

The AP look good, wonder how well they will swim at 200'+.

Good luck Charlie_horse!!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!