Thread: Obsessed with elk

Obsessed with elk

Hello all,

im relatively new to hunting and haven't really had anyone to show me the ropes which hasn't been an issue it's been fun getting out and trying to learn on my own. However, the last 2 years in my bear spot I've seen about 10 cow elk and now I'm completely obsessed. Not knowing anyone who really hunts let alone for elk, I'm just just looking for literally any information on hunting them. Where to look , Elevation, food, tips on calling. Pretty much anything to help me find more of these Goliaths!
    thank you

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Obsessed with elk

Download some "jay Scott outdoors " podcasts. He has some amazing ones with more information you will ever need. On any North American game species.

Is your spot LEH or open season?

my advice is get as far away from other humans as possible in that area, find habitat/sign, and hunt during the rut so you can call them in or at least locate hem.

Tons of info on this forum, just type in key words in the search bar....and of course U-Tube....

Nothing wrong with being obsessed with elk because its worth it. Lots of tips, tactics and information with how to hunt elk, and all about them. I too am obsessed with elk. Keep hammering the mountians and don't stop. Every time in elk country is good times. P.M if you need more

elk101 Elk University course. Great investment for a new elk hunter
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Get a hold of the book, 'Elk Country' by Dr. Valerie Geist. He is an ungulate biologist. It's an awesome book. If there are elk where you are, you are way ahead of the game. Keep scouting the area until the season opens. Assume they will go higher up in the summer. They might be in spring habitat and will follow the feed. Use trail cams if you have them. But keep track of where the cows are because when the rut hits, you'll hear the bulls start to bugle n' scream in the vicinity of the cows! Start practising cow elk chirps and bull elk bugles. Early Sept is the best time to bugle in rutty bulls IMHO. Go out in late Aug in early morning and late afternoon/evening and do some test bugles to see if you get a response. That will tell you there are bulls in the area and they are getting ready to rut. Also, read up on this site about some of the elk hunts that guys have posted. The are some good tips and lessons in those stories. Good luck!
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction! I'm learning a bunch !