Thread: White river fishing?

White river fishing?

My brother and I are planning on taking our kids to the White river area in early October. We have hunted the area several times but have never wet a line. Being that we are taking the kids along we are counting on taking a day off from hunting and maybe trying to catch a fish or two. We typically camp near where the North White Rd turns off the White River main, not too far from Whiteswan lake. Just wondering if anyone has any input on fishing that part of the river at that time of year. It is a classified river so would require us to buy classified waters license so I would just like to know if its worth spending the money for a days fishing. Any input is appreciated, PM if you like. Thanks.
    JP

2. Site Sponsor

Re: White river fishing?

I can't help you with the river, but take a drive up the East White to Monroe Lake and throw a bobber and worm out there. Kids will have a blast

I have fished the white/north white rivers in August /Sept.some good fishing away from the popular camp and access spots

I haven't fished the White but I have spent some time on the Kootenay River, downstream from where the White flows into the Kootenay it is not classified waters. The fishing can be great in the Kootenay, lots of cutthroat varying in size from tiny to decent eating size. The real fun comes when you latch onto a BIG bull trout, I've caught them in the Kootenay up to around 10lbs in early October.

Thanks for the input everyone. The great news is my brother and nephews got the shared moose hunt for the area as well as a goat draw. It is archery only for the moose when we go but the last time I was there we saw a dozen bull moose and I shot an immature bull with my crossbow so it should be a great hunt! Have been to Munroe lake before but never fished it so will definitely give that a go this year.
    JP

That's awesome! Sounds like the makings of a great trip. Good luck on the hunt, and fishing. Love that area