Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bear pepperoni help Please.

Re: Bear pepperoni help Please.

Today's test went better. Start to finish is the smoker to 170 internal. I think I had a bit too much fat in combination with not being cooked long enough. Had 2 racks of bear jerky under the pepperoni. Oh my, that is good being dripped on all day.
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Update. The 50mm fibrous casings still have liquid fat in them. Meat is tasty but texture is crumbly. No doubt to much fat in the trimmings. Or does bear fat stay rendered.? The freeze thaw never helped the 50mm sample.

The 22 mm lamb cased are best after being frozen. The texture is much better and the flavor seems enhanced. Fat was able to drip out as it cooked.
    Anyways not a complete fail but wish I was more confident going in to the next batch.
    What should the approx.fat to meat ratio be with bear?
    Thanks everyone for the insight.

Using pork i usually use about 20-25%fat.
    Always hang the sausage to start drying and warming up before putting in the smoker unless the smoker is at a minimal temp and wide open dampers. After a couple of hrs or when the casing feels dry then slowly increase heat. I usually raise about 10deg every hr to about 160 then hold till the meat is about 130 then i put in a pot of water at 170 to bring the internal temp to 160 then in the ice water. Are you grinding the meat as cold a temp as you can to prevent mushing? Do you use any binders? I use soy protein as a binder for smoke sausage.

Meat was cold thru the whole process. Only one pass thru the 1/4" plate. Would a finer mix help ?
    Used a mix from CTR/Xcaliber. There is a binder. Not sure what it is. Will be going from scratch next round.
    Thanks.

Is it possible it was too hot and the fat liquified? I did that once and the fat juice ran out and the sausage was crumbly. ???

Cooked to 170 trying to firm it up after trying some at 150,then 160.