Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear pepperoni help Please.

Bear pepperoni help Please.

Hello all,
    Made 15 lbs of bear pepperoni today using High Caliber mix with a few spice additions. Stuffing went great. Girlfriend is a champ. Made 50mm and 20mm.
    Questions are about the next step. Leave in the fridge overnight, then ? Boil or smoke ? Smoke then boil ? Cook in the smoker ?
    Any tips would be great. 1st time with pepperoni. The mix tastes great. Want the best results.
    Have apple wood on hand.
    Thanks for your time.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bear pepperoni help Please.

I stuff mine in the casings and let hang for 48 hours in the cold room. Then I cook it in the oven at 200 F until the internal temp is 160 F. Use an external thermometer to keep track of the temp. I then take it out of the oven and submerse it in ice water for 1/2 hour and then hang in the cold room for another 24 hours. Then it's ready to eat.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live!!!!!

i have done in the smoker and adds flavor to the skin but also in the oven which is more controlled , especially to get salamis up to the required 160 deg for curing . this is most important .

Thanks for the info. Is it best to leave it 2 days before cooking ? I have my smoker dialed, so will probably cook in it, with smoke or with out.

Ya the key is to submerge it in ice water immediately when it reaches 160 to stop the cooking

Use smoker, start low 120f then after an hr or 2 bring up slowly and close dampers with smoke. I typically max the smoker at 165 then do a final cook in water at 170 until internal hits desired temp then submerg in ice water.

That sounds good cdub. Going to do a trial run today.
    Thanks for the information.
    Steve

Results from the trial run. Used smoker, 120 with smoke for 2 hrs. then gradually raised temp until internal 150 degree's. Taste is great but the texture is mussy, not firm. Texture is less than appealing.
    Any suggestions? Have 12 more pounds to do.
    Thanks
    Steve

Try hotter internal temp.. .150 isn't enough in My opinion.

150 is too low for bear as far as I know. Finish in water at 170 until desired internal temp. Mushy also can be the meat wasn't cold enough when ground, not enough fat, or from using a grinder to stuff and the meat mushers and over heats. All things I have done over the years of practicing.