Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: X bows

Arrow Re: X bows

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Without getting too passionate, can anyone list the advantages and disadvantages in regards to crossbow vs compound bow?
    You are kind of mixing the matter up a little. Compound bows can be vertical (the one you have been referring to here) or can be purchased in a crossbow configuration. Rule of thumb here is pretty well anything with wheels / cams / cables & strings is considered a compound. Those bows without are generally referred to as straight / long bow or recurve. These too can come in either vertical or crossbow types.

There are many differences between a vertical bow and a crossbow. The two most obvious are the vertical bow gets the nod when stalking through the thick. The crossbow is more cumbersome when doing so. The largest difference is that the vertical bow must be drawn and anchored in the very near presence of game, whereas the crossbow is already locked & cocked.

Beyond that, they both shoot arrows, and as such are subject to the same limits regarding range and effectiveness. Most suggest a maximum distance of around 45 yards for both. Good general rule of thumb is shoot out to increasing distances. At the range your groupings open up to around four inches, you have reached your max. Practice, and high end equipment can extend this for many.

I found the vertical bow a little trickier to master (when I could still draw one that is). For those familiar with shooting a rifle, the crossbow is generally a little more familiar, and thus easier to come to some sense of proficiency with. Both however do require a good amount of practice in order to become proficient enough to hunt with. That said, today's modern equipment is downright amazing. Most bows of either type are quite User Friendly in comparison to the stuff we had 40 years ago!

Boils down to personal preference for most. I'd suggest trying out a few of either type and letting the bows tell you which you prefer. Anyone who lives or wanders close to Port on the Island are free to give me a shout in that regard. If I have a little free time, I certainly do not mind showing someone the recurve crossbow ropes as it were...

Good Luck with your selection!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: X bows

Thanks Nog!! Great info and much appreciated. I am going to have to try both. There is no way around it. If I had to guess, I am going to prefer a crossbow on the smaller side of the scale as I might have issues with the draw on the compound bows and keeping it steady (my hands are often pretty shaky if my heart is pumping) That said, I might surprise myself... maybe I can hold a vertical compound more steady than a rifle due to the tension. If I can pull it off, a compound bow might be beneficial as I still-hunt for BT's in thick stuff. I read on another thread that some Cabelas locations have shooting lanes for testing... not sure if that is the case locally but I will check into it. Compound definitely sounds easier to pack around and I stand by the statement that it looks way cooler

Cool Re: X bows

It seems some still carry a bit of a torch for anyone that uses another form of bow from themselves...

MY recent post in this regard on the Alberta Forum:

To the ABA Rep That decided to take my Alberta Hunter Host to task publicly over the fact I use a crossbow in archery season (due to physical constraints) in Alberta...

You got what you had coming Lad.

I WILL be returning this year.
    Check here from time to time, and I'm reasonably certain you will see the dates I'll be in-country - should you wish to take the matter up directly with an Old Fart...

So, although my Partner has exacted his own form of comeuppance, I am now planning my own...
    That of course will involve investigating just what zone this fellow hunts over there
    Then doing what I can to take a good buck in that zone...
    And, I am now actively recruiting two more Buddies from here that will likely qualify for the Alberta Crossbow Permit.
    When they do so, I will be posting on the Alberta forum (I KNOW he is a member there).
    And hoping for a follow-up with each of them standing over good bucks.

Don't rightly understand why some have to create divisions between us hunters.
    Sometimes seem like we can be our own worst enemies...

Cheers,
    Nog

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by OoDark View Post
    So many options so hard to choose, especially with not being able to test them in the store lol
    Where are you located, you can shoot my Micro if you are in Kootenay's.
    KCCO

My location is VI. But thanks for offering

Regardless of whether you buy a vertical bow (compound or traditional) or a horizontal bow (compound or traditional) I highly recommend taking the International Bowhunter Education Program. (IBEP) Although bowhunting shares many of the same challenges and joys of hunting with a firearm there are many differences that new bowhunters should learn. There is usually a course or two delivered on the Island each year. That said IBEP isn't just for newbies... just saying.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

The reason why i prefer a bow to a xbow is reload time. I can reload a bow as fast i can get the arrow knivked. Xbow takes minutes and change of stance.

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    The reason why i prefer a bow to a xbow is reload time. I can reload a bow as fast i can get the arrow knivked. Xbow takes minutes and change of stance.
    I'd agree with this. Also, I hunted briefly with a crossbow and I found it awkward to carry.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Arrow Re: X bows

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    There is that. On the other hand, I have never had the occasion to need a second arrow on game from my Excaliburs

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by OoDark View Post
    thanks for all the input so far!! I see why people say Excalibur. I just don't like the size for bush stalking I was all ways catching the limbs on stuff.
    Check out their Micro 335. 22.5 in. limb width uncocked 22 in. limb width cocked just over 5 lbs. Great bow and not as big as there full size but just as powerful.