Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watched this bear a couple hours, 2 consecutive evenings. Guesses why it's a no go?

Watched this bear a couple hours, 2 consecutive evenings. Guesses why it's a no go?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Watched this bear a couple hours, 2 consecutive evenings. Guesses why it's a no g

I had a hard time with the camera motion and lighting, but I thought I could make out a shoulder hump a few times in that vid.

Re: Watched this bear a couple hours, 2 consecutive evenings. Guesses why it's a no g

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    I had a hard time with the camera motion and lighting, but I thought I could make out a shoulder hump a few times in that vid.
    Lol ya sorry about the shakey vid. I was jacked up on caffeine and adrenaline... that's what it looks like when caddisguy sees bears at 15 yards solo and I'm twitchy to begin with. Would have needed a shooting stick for sure.

No grizz though, just a regular black bear hump (particularly visible when they have their head down munching grass) very good guess but black bear for sure though

It was a sow and there were two cubs that I was lucky enough to see. The cubs were about 15 yards into the timber and I only saw them for a couple half-seconds through binos when I was sitting further back watching her

Good eyes! I commend you for taking your time.

Good on ya Caddis. I actually spent half of the first round trying to pick up spots in the background, before looking for "another" reason you would pass. Second viewing I focused on cues to indicate size and/or species. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Good eyes! I commend you for taking your time.
    Thanks! I thought I would post as it is educational. Rare to see a sow leave her cubs that far back so early in the Spring (early May) but it happens ... but seeing a bear feeding cautiously close to the treeline while there is way better grass out in the open 5-10 yards away says a lot. Behavior is the best indicator.

The morning after the second night watching her, I noticed a freshly broken sapling telling me a boar moved in. I found him (older boar) and shot him that morning. I think the sow and cubs were still ok. I could hear her right in the same spot clacking her jaws at me while I did up the boar. Kept yelling over to hear that I did her a solid as if she could understand English lol

From the story I posted in the Spring Bear thread a few weeks back... was just going through some video tonight:

Last edited by caddisguy; 06-10-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Good on ya Caddis. I actually spent half of the first round trying to pick up spots in the background, before looking for "another" reason you would pass. Second viewing I focused on cues to indicate size and/or species. Haha.
    TBH, I didn't see the cubs until the second night. The first night my gut was just telling me something was wrong.

Hmm good call..i look at the ass end of a bear first..big ass..wide assed" bears usually aare female. .this bear had no neck unless when her head was down feeding..another indication female..sometimes the Cubs are treed, or stashed..it does happen..good lesson.be patient..
    Cheers
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm good call..i look at the ass end of a bear first..big ass..wide assed" bears usually aare female. .this bear had no neck unless when her head was down feeding..another indication female..sometimes the Cubs are treed, or stashed..it does happen..good lesson.be patient..
    Cheers
    Steven
    At one point she was just staring at me all hunched up, grass hanging out of her mouth, no neck at all... looked just little a blob. Noteworthy tip. Thanks for that.

Second night as I was walking away to go back to camp, she bolted a few yards towards me then off in the timber. I was confused and 99% sure it wasn't about me at all. I think that was the boar moving in.