Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Side by side shopping.

Side by side shopping.

Ive been wanting a side by side for a while now and I think I might just buy one.

But which one to buy...

Ive looked at the canam commanders and the polaris rangers and rzrs. is there other units I should be looking at?

Im shopping below the 15k mark and want something thats going to take a beating well , be easy to maintain.

any advice?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Side by side shopping.

I have a Yamaha Viking, two years now and its been great. Its great for hunting but not a race machine. I like the three up front seating, lots of room

Commanders are nice but outdated with shitty clutching and gearing. Polaris has been building pretty junky stuff the last few years so I would stay away from them
    Like the above mentioned the Vikings are nice but noisy and single cylinder.
    Demo a can am defender xt if you want a ranger type bike but built way better.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Honda!!!!!
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    Honda!!!!!
    Do your research before you consider a Honda lol

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    Honda!!!!!
    I've never had the success with Honda ATVs that everyone else has had... every single one I've owned has had transmission issues. EVERY. SINGLE.ONE.

Having said that, there are two good things about Honda:
    1) Fuel Mileage
    2) Since Yamaha no longer makes the Rhino, I believe Honda has the narrowest SXS with a dump bed. Both things I really want when hunting (bed for game, narrow width to get down cut lines). Of course in their narrowest offering, the 4x4 system isn't that advanced.

If it were me, I'd look for a minty used Yamaha Rhino.

Me.

PS
    The above is based on ATV experience of me moving from Hondas to Yamahas and my Dad sticking with Honda. I go places he can't, with a transmission that actually works but I also use about 25% more fuel with the same size engine (not a typo).

Honda pioneer 500
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

Hmm never been stranded in a Honda in 30 years.non was a side by side..seen the best tricked out amazing side by side Honda..$50,000..!,!
    Good luck
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by tipper View Post
    Commanders are nice but outdated with shitty clutching and gearing. Polaris has been building pretty junky stuff the last few years so I would stay away from them
    Like the above mentioned the Vikings are nice but noisy and single cylinder.
    Demo a can am defender xt if you want a ranger type bike but built way better.
    Hard to fathom Polaris building junkie stuff when they are clearly the leader in the industry. We have two rangers, a 800 crew that will go just about anywhere, now fast but will get you there, and a ranger xp1000, more comfortable, faster and more power. I wouldn't consider anything other then a ranger especially as a hunting buggy. Can carry good weight and lots of gear and the sky is the limit when it comes to options

Keep in mind if you will be using it to hunt up north at all, some of the ATV corridors have weight restrictions. Used to be 500 kg, not sure if it still is.