Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolves around vanderhoof!

Wolves around vanderhoof!

I'm going to be up in the vanderhoof area in the next coupes of weeks and I'd like to try to get a wolf or two! I was up there a few years ago and was told that the dump road up towards fort st james was a good place to look.

Any of you from around that area had any more luck in certain areas than others?!!? I've got my foxpro all set up and ready to go!

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wolves around vanderhoof!

No one? I know I'm new and I know that wolves have large territories and aren't easy to find but I'm sure someone has somewhere that they see them a lot more frequently in 7-11, 7-12, 7-13, 7-14, 7-15 and 7-25. Please and thanks! I'm not asking for GPS coordinates just maybe some recent sightings or roads where packs are known to roam!

Cheers

They roam so much can't really help much basicly they can be anywhere and nowhere lol

Most would gladly help a guy take a wolf but they are tuff to keep tabs on

Wolves r pretty well everywhere in this province. You would be hard pressed to not find wolf sign on almost any backroad, especially the northern half of BC. My advice is to put some miles on and look for sign. Hunting early in the morning, stop and listen periodically if u find fresh sign. If u find fresh sign try howling. They r curious and territorial and easily called in if they r around. I worked in ft St James last summer there r definitely wolves around. Lol

There's a reason most people target them in the winter months. As mentioned, they move a lot.

Now is denning time....and they may not be moving as much.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdown View Post
    I'm going to be up in the vanderhoof area in the next coupes of weeks and I'd like to try to get a wolf or two! I was up there a few years ago and was told that the dump road up towards fort st james was a good place to look.

Any of you from around that area had any more luck in certain areas than others?!!? I've got my foxpro all set up and ready to go!

Thanks
    Head down the Holy Cross until you hit the Marrilla, (spelling). It's just after Cheslatta falls. Any cut block in there. Have someone with you if you're using predator calls as there are lots of grizz in that area.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Thanks! Appreciate it!

Also if you check that area, you could keep going down the holycross, cross kenney dam - stay right....stay on that road for about 25km where you come onto the kluskus, take a right and try the red road at about kilometer 75 to 77 (roads are marked) and after that you could try the blue road, martin road and Brewster lake area. All between the 95km and about 105km. There were lots of wolves around there in the winter.

I saw a big black one at 153 and a half on the Kluskus friday the 9th. I guess it new I had no gun cause I could have shot it a couple of times. I stopped and got out and watched it trot away and I whistled and it turned broad side and looked at me. The last I saw of it was it left the clear cut heading east so who knows where it would be now.

The main thing is to play or blow your call where a wolf can hear it, which is a total guessing game. And the hardest thing in most of that area if finding a place to set up where the sound can carry and you can see anything coming. If you find any place where you can set it up and you can see a wolf coming, where he can't see you or your vehicle, go for it, you never know where they are going to be.