Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What else would they eat?

Question What else would they eat?

Harbour seals selectively eat juveniles of salmon species most at risk

http://www.theprovince.com/news/local+news/harbour+seals+selectively+juveniles+salmon+species +most+risk/13427611/story.html

Given their population explosions along the entire west coast since they were afforded blanket protection, it is downright surprising we have any salmon left in many areas!!

Shakin' the noggin once again...
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What else would they eat?

Meanwhile, down south
    The House Committee on Natural Resources has passed H.R. 564, the “Endangered Salmon and Fisheries Predation Prevention Act,” which authorizes the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to issue one-year permits to Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and several tribal groups to lethally take non-endangered sea lions in order to protect endangered and threatened species of salmon.
    http://www.cbbulletin.com/437691.aspx
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

They must eat herring and cod too?

Not sure what it is about seals but they look pretty tasty, especially the ones in Harrison lake. I have always wondered why there isn't a season on seals. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of them... managed properly it wouldn't interfere with their numbers anyway so no starving orcas.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Not sure what it is about seals but they look pretty tasty, especially the ones in Harrison lake. I have always wondered why there isn't a season on seals. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of them... managed properly it wouldn't interfere with their numbers anyway so no starving orcas.
    There's a huge market for them in Asia. We're missing out on easy money to appease hormonal college kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Thumbs up Re: What else would they eat?

The Answer:

The House Committee on Natural Resources has passed H.R. 564, the “Endangered Salmon and Fisheries Predation Prevention Act,” which authorizes the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to issue one-year permits to Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and several tribal groups to lethally take non-endangered sea lions in order to protect endangered and threatened species of salmon.

http://www.cbbulletin.com/437691.aspx

Cheers,
    Nog - Have Gun, Will Travel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

do ya think they might taste a bit like fish.....heheheh

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    I am guessing the fat would have a little of that omega 3 tang... just tell dinner guests they are fish burgers

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    I had an opportunity to try some in a northern community several years ago. I have to say, it didn't really taste "fishy" at all. Just about the same way sashimi tastes "fishy". Also have eaten Beluga at a separate time and place. The fat on both that and the seal taste quite similar.

I found both quite tasty, I'd put a seal in the freezer for sure. I guess I'd have to work on my harpoon skills. Could you reliably harvest one with a rifle I wonder?

Do it like bow fishing....that would be a fight!!