Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elk hunting

Elk hunting

Hi guys. Planing elk hunting this fall to cranbrook area. In my safe I have 2 rifles:
    1) Tikka t3 stainless in 30-06
    2) Beowning Bar Long Trac in 300 win mag.
    What would you suggest to take for hunting like that ? It will be my first time hunting elk, and I heard that sometimes you have to shoot far ..
    what would you suggest to take ? Semi auto or bolt ?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk hunting

either or what ever one you like/shoot better

Are you actually gonna shoot at an elk over 350 yards? I would take the 30-06 tikka but i really dislike browning and prefer lighter guns. 165 gr accubond or partition should do the trick for you.
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I'd take the bolt action, not as finicky as a semi auto! 165-180 gr pill, shoot to 400yrds with lethal results, if you can shoot to 400 yards!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Whatever you shoot the best

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Whatever you shoot the best
    Never a truer word spoken
    (same with monasheemtnman)

Also what else lurks around in the territory,can dictate what you may want to use.

Hey it's jel in loopy town. Yah, I shoot ott 6 Husqvarna and it's a bute, for any animule u can imagine.
    -- I've shot deer, bear, moose, elk, and all with the .o6.
    -- Cranbrook I hunted the Bull River for elk and saw plenty, I had a relative who lives there and elk hunts like I mule hunt, really get;s into it.
    -- Learn how to do a simple elk call, a cow or bull or calf, bulls come back at calls.
    -- rock slides are where you will see Mr, Big, check the edges of rock slides for movement.
    --
    -- I tried 150, 165 and 180, I choose 180 for mine. 150 blows up too fast, 165 ok butt 180 yeyah
    Sight in for 3.5 inches high at a hundred yards, 3.5 inches above center bull.
    Then from bore to 300 your in control, BAM! Take a rest on something when you shoot for accuracy.
    Jel -- Elk are big but can be shot with an ott 6 when in a vital area, BOOM!
    =-ll------------------> Foxy Lady -- Jimi Hendrix -- < ---------------------------ll-=
    Last edited by Jelvis; 06-07-2017 at 01:27 PM. Reason: OHH Benny and the Jets -- Elton -- Benny --

Its an elk. Keep your distances short and make it easy to follow up on your shot. Sure you can fling lead out 3, 4 or 500 yards. If you want to retrieve what you shoot at, keep your distances short. They are a tough animal. You might think you missed, as the run off into the timber. Either of those weapons will work just fine. Good luck.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I've used the 30-06 with Federal Premium 165gr Nosler Partitions to kill several Elk, never an issue, either one will be fine.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America