Thread: Removing ticks at the nymph stage?

Angry Removing ticks at the nymph stage?

My dog picked up some ticks at the nymph stage and I only saw them when red circles showed up last night. On closer inspection they have the pronounced red edge (bullseye) and a microscopic black dot in the middle. This morning I found a loose one crawling but had no way to catch & preserve it - it's so small! I googled and searched but the only removal advice was for adult ticks WTF do you do for these nymphs? Everything said not to kill them when attached because they could regurgitate when they die. She's a pup and shes been given both shots of the Lyme vaccine and is on the flee & tick stuff but my family isn't and I don't want to bring these things home!

So far I think that I'll bathe her and brush through some food grade dichotomous earth, maybe spray the permethrin when I get home... The lady at the vets office only had the pre packaged tweezers answer and these are microscopic nymphs that I couldn't even do the thread & knot trick on.

Anyone have some direct experience with this? Region 5.1 BTW

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Removing ticks at the nymph stage?

Yes. I have picked up these buggers. They are not microscopic (at least the ones I had) but rather the size of a poppy seed. They can literally crawl in and out of your pores (I watched one do just that) ... I use needle nose / surgical tweezers... just like removing a sliver... usually just take a chunk of skin with it to be sure.

Bear in mind that red circle is unlikely an actual bullseye rash. Whenever I have an engorged tick, the area around it is usually red... it's a red circle yes, but a bullseye rash is usually a red ring within a red ring.. often covers a large area too of several inches... stays around for a week or so.

It's rare to get a bunch of nymphs... maybe she went through a nest or something... bad luck... there's no fool proof way to avoid it except avoid the areas that you find have ticks. I hunt in a tick infestation and pick up 10-20 per day. In the entire valley I hunt, I have only come across two "pockets" where I end up with ticks all over me, even when I am being super careful what I walk through. These pockets only stretch a couple kms each. The rest of the valley, I can walk through all sorts of BS and never pick up a tick.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 06-07-2017 at 09:47 AM.

Odd answer from your vet IMHO. Give her the oral tick meds and within 1-2 days all the one's that are attached will die and fall off. I get my stuff online b/c it was highly recommended from my vet assistant friend - Nexgard. I was using a couple other things and she still picked up ticks. After nexgard - nary a one.

Thanks for the replies - microscopic was a slight exaggeration but so small I don't think I could tweezer them, would have to cut some skin out for sure. I'll take her to the vet before I go home - maybe someone else's eyes can see more than a moving speck! The vet confirmed it was Nexgard she's on and that they should be dead. Once I wash off any that haven't bit yet it should be fine I guess. I've got a bunch of mosquito bites so that isn't helping me crawling in my own skin! Uughhh!

Yeah, there is nothing like a conversation about ticks to start your skin crawling and itching.

Sounds like you have the situation under control. If you want to be paranoid you can have your family apply some DEET on their clothes around the house but I don't think I'd bother.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?