Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutthroats and crayfish, oh my!

Re: Cutthroats and crayfish, oh my!

Wow, thanks for that! I had no idea. I used to catch crayfish as a kid in Northern Quebec, but they were tiny. Is that typical of most lakes in BC? I noticed you set your traps close to shore in shallow water? Is that the best place... around cover like the sunken logs, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Blair View Post
    Wow, thanks for that! I had no idea. I used to catch crayfish as a kid in Northern Quebec, but they were tiny. Is that typical of most lakes in BC? I noticed you set your traps close to shore in shallow water? Is that the best place... around cover like the sunken logs, etc.?
    Close to shore near cover (rocks, logs, stumps and vegetation is the ticket) ... a depth of 1.5-15M is ideal. I don't find many down deep. I imagine this is because there are less nutrients, less light and probably less cover.

I am not certain what species of crayfish exist in Quebec, but our native species (the signal crayfish) reside mostly in the southwest (Region 1, Region 2 and parts of Region 3) ... signal crayfish tend to get pretty large compared to species found down south, in the UK, AU, etc.

Just found this:

Quebec indigenous species are: the Common Crayfish (Cambarus bartonii), the Big Water Crayfish (Cambarus robustus), as well as the Northern Clearwater Crayfish (Orconectes propinquus), Allegheny Crayfish (Orconectes obscurus), Papershell Crayfish (Orconectes immunis) and the Virile Crayfish (Orconectes virilis).

(https://ogsl.ca/en/biodiversity/inve...h/summary.html)

That's a lot of different species!
    Last edited by caddisguy; 06-06-2017 at 04:45 PM.

I went to the Keg in Prince George for my 25th birthday and ordered lobster. When the texture was like rubber I complained and asked if it was really lobster. server told me it's crayfish. I told them if I wanted to pay lobster price I should be served lobster and that I can go down to a river and catch my own crayfish. Meal was free and I had them give me a burger instead.

Great feed CG. Can you buy those traps at Crappy Tire?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenny View Post
    Great feed CG. Can you buy those traps at Crappy Tire?
    I ordered mine from here about 10 years ago:

https://www.ronniesunshines.com/cray...ab-or-fish-pot

I have since seen them on Amazon and other places online, but no-where local yet. That said, I haven't checked CDN Tire or Cabela's recently. Last I checked only prawn traps which will do the job, but I like these collapsible traps as they take up very little space in the jeep... heck they fit in the backpack

mouthwatering photos! Those are pretty nice crayfish. thanks for posting
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Awesome report Caddsiguy and gal, looking forward to the vid when you have it ready to go! That meal looks mouthwatering, can almost taste it from your story and photo's...
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I ordered mine from here about 10 years ago:

https://www.ronniesunshines.com/cray...ab-or-fish-pot

I have since seen them on Amazon and other places online, but no-where local yet. That said, I haven't checked CDN Tire or Cabela's recently. Last I checked only prawn traps which will do the job, but I like these collapsible traps as they take up very little space in the jeep... heck they fit in the backpack

Thanks for the info man. I bet bass p has em. good ole suthern boys. haha

I recognize that place. I've caught quite a few crayfish and large cutthroat out of there!
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

Huh.. and here I thought my bug trapping career was left behind on the salt chuck. I might have to give this crayfish trappin a go
    Thanks for the share caddis love the looks of that cutty too good times.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this