Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutthroats and crayfish, oh my!

Cutthroats and crayfish, oh my!

With our bear season done, we decided to get in a little bit of lake fishing while the getting is good.

We arrived on Friday night and still had a little bit of light out, so we went ahead and put our crayfish traps in the lake. This is a bit early for good crayfishing, as we don't really start to see good numbers until August-September. That said, we figured we would catch a dozen or so over the weekend.

Next morning, we went to check out the traps expecting a half dozen at best. I was pretty shocked when I saw there must be 60 or 70. We got rid of the small ones and any carrying eggs, then bagged the rest up and took them back to camp.

Headed out fishing and had non-stop action most of the day.... came back to camp and ate up our crayfish.

The next morning the traps (which were still set in the exact same spot because we were lazy) still had another 30 or so. After removing the small ones and the ones with eggs, we were left with enough to go with our dinner.

Yours truly:

caddisgirl gets a nice one!

continued...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cutthroats and crayfish, oh my!

We eat up the first batch of crayfish from the morning back at camp:

Checking traps the next morning for a batch to take home:

continued...
    Last edited by caddisguy; 06-06-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Back home and all settled, we make a meal out of the crayfish, her larger cutthroat and some roasted garlic and veggies. Prepped a few lunches for the next few days and tossed them in the freezer along with a vacuum pack of the remaining trout.

Wow, what a delicious looking feast and nothing tastes better than food you gathered and harvested yourself.

guest Guest

Great Share you guys ........ Your dedication pays off!

That meal looks terrific!

Right here, within reach of our own back yards if you look for it and go for it the way you guys do.

CT
    Last edited by guest; 06-06-2017 at 03:11 PM.

holy fack those crayfish look good!

Nice haul of crayfish. Looks yummy.

Great post! That looks like some delicious eating.

You forgot to post coordinates
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Damn that looks good!
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

We get a lot of enjoyment out of crayfishing. It helps mix things up a bit... takes virtually no work (unless you want to work for them) and you get to think about your traps while you're hunting or fishing... even just laying in bed at night at camp, knowing your traps are out there working for you... nothing like that moment of truth, pulling them up the next day... if you are in a place with crayfish, you know there will be some... only question is how many.

Made this video a year and a half ago and it's almost up at 1,000,000 views. We took some video footage this time... just of rebaiting the traps in the afternoon and tossing them back out, pulling them in the next morning and releasing the small ones and the ones with eggs... released them into shallow water while caddisgirl filmed, so it should make a decent video, but we are definitely going to top our first video with something a little more entertaining and intereactive later this summer.