Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possibly moving to MU 6-14 (Stewart)

Possibly moving to MU 6-14 (Stewart)

Does anyone have experience in this area? I've seen goats and grizzly right in the town but was wondering about deer and moose in the area? Would there be coastal blacktail there? Any input would be appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Possibly moving to MU 6-14 (Stewart)

-- MU 6-14
    Prince Rupert
    -- outta Prince Rupert but hey!
    --- rugged area north of Rupert, very few access roads with older information I got
    Fair blacktail deer and bear hunting by boat
    -- North end reached from Cassiar Hwy 37, from Meziadin Lake.
    - Fair to good blacktail deer on Islands near Rupert, most hunting by locals with sea worthy boats
    - Road access to central part via lower Nass River road from Cranberry Junction on 37.
    Jel info from the 80's old like me haha -- good luck in all that water whoa! not my style haha.

There are goats and bears. The odd moose around meziadin lake. Lots of fishing. A great place in my opinion with big open spaces and mountains.

Well that's good to hear. Heading up there on Thursday to give my wife a look around and see if she likes it.

Just don't tell her that the road in can sometimes be blocked for weeks due to snow slides. Supplies are then brought in by boat.
    I considered moving there for a few minutes, after I went there in the spring and seen the remainder of the slide still beside the road.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

If you like wildlife, mountains, and the ocean.... you might like it up this way.
    " Size doesn't matter 'til the freezer is full!" - Dad

" If you buy a new gun, I get a new kitchen!" - my lovely wife

Sako Finnlight 300 WSM
    Rem 700 CDL 25.06 Rem

Grizz, Black Bear and Goats plentiful. I've never heard of much for Deer but would bet there is some good hunting to be had down the Portland canal. Moose are a short drive north. Less than 3 hours and your in good Moose country. 4 hours and your glassing Sheep! 5 hours and your spotting Caribou. In reach of lots of great hunting. Ocean fishing isn't talked about much out of Stewart. There might be a reason for that... I've heard of good winter Chinook fishing. Decent Halibut. Lots of Crab and Prawns. And a 62lbs Chinook caught out of there June of 2016.

The town isn't much but endless outdoor activities. Snowmobiling, hiking, fishing, check for hunting restrictions, meziaden lake is one of the best, crab ,prawns, hali's. Don't expect much of a night life or shopping and if you need to see the doc or dentist your driving 3hrs. Lots of history and a beautiful place.

Thanks for your input guys, I really appreciate it. With houseing prices down here in the lower mainland and a good job up there a guy can come out on the winning side for a change. I'm getting excited.

Unfortunately, you'll never know if it's for you unless you actually do it and find out for yourself. I've live in a number of communities up north and have seen people come and go. Some came thinking it was the only place for them only to leave in a couple of years. Some stayed. Couples present a special issue. Just remember, Confucius say "happy wife, happy life". You're going to have long periods of time where, unless you get out into the weather, your going to be sitting at home......together.........
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU