Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: First nations traditional territory

Thumbs down Re: First nations traditional territory

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    i'm not saying the system is perfect by any stretch, or that poor decisions don't still get passed...
    When it comes to FN related decisions, the SCC has made a habit of this. It's simply reality, one that most dislike, but do understand is occurring on a repetitive basis...

Poor decisions can be appealed on merit and well placed faith in the system sees them corrected eventually.
    Waiting on this to happen, as related to the issues in question, is much akin to awaiting hell freezing over.

Really

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: First nations traditional territory

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    that may be the way you see it, but it's clearly not how the plaintiffs in the matter do. The latter probably being closer to legal reality. FN groups see themselves and their interests as distinct from one an other, not as a single group of amalgamated, legislated status of secondary citizen. Increasingly, as they make their case in our court rooms, most legal minds are inclined to agree.

When/if people in Canada see the consequences of FN claims coming to fruition, there will be a much stronger push for our governments to negotiate these claims fairly and quickly. Yet our position grows weaker by the day. They're already having serious affects on resource industry in at least BC.

The mining company I'm involved with, has deliberately worked with BC,AB and QB FN as partners to all of our mutual benefit.
    I've said that for years, the longer our governments drag their tail on settling treaties, the more it costs us. I often wonder if they did this to BC on purpose to suppress our economic opportunities??

Quote Originally Posted by Corb89 View Post
    OK, ive read my fill of the stereo type bullshit....for those of you who dont know...I Corb89 Corben Clarkson am a status indian..the indian side of my family is from the west moberly reserve THE largest treaty territory in canada.
    go on with your "liquor store" jokes...we're not all the same...i buy my hunting/fishing licences same as you....i follow provincial regulations better than alot of you racist assholes
    im ashamed to be on this site with you whining ****s...im out! **** all of you
    Didn't they know?? Shameful.

Quote Originally Posted by Corb89 View Post
    OK, ive read my fill of the stereo type bullshit....for those of you who dont know...I Corb89 Corben Clarkson am a status indian..the indian side of my family is from the west moberly reserve THE largest treaty territory in canada.
    go on with your "liquor store" jokes...we're not all the same...i buy my hunting/fishing licences same as you....i follow provincial regulations better than alot of you racist assholes
    im ashamed to be on this site with you whining ****s...im out! **** all of you
    Hey Corb,

Please allow me to disassociate myself from almost every member on this site and say that I'm sorry the mods on this site do a super-shitty job in filtering bigotry, racism, bullying and belittling comments from the threads.

There are a few people on this site who have a clue what they're talking about when it comes to aboriginal rights, aboriginal title areas, property held in fee simple, and reservation land. Unfortunately, they are a minority and not overly vocal. I don't blame them. It gets old trying to explain something when people just don't want to hear or understand it. They don't like the shitty legacy that they inherited from our political forefathers. Neither do I really, but understanding how it came to be helps me cope with the fact that I am a descendant of a non-aboriginal culture that finds itself here in many cases illegally, and at very least, with lesser hunting rights than aboriginals. Am I envious that aboriginals' right to hunt is entrenched in the constitution and mine is not? You betcha. Do I reluctantly accept the reality of our nation's (and specifically, our Province's) cultural history and what it means today? Yes.

As an answer to the original question:

Although the title "traditional territory" has implications on aboriginal hunting rights, it does not equate to FN reserve lands nor lands held in fee simple (private), and thus isn't off-limits, unless perhaps they have marked their reserve boundary with those signs, in which case they can control access because it is FN reserve, not because it's traditional territory. A quick search in the "administrative layers" folder in IMAP BC will reveal whether the spot is on reserve or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Looking_4_Jerky View Post
    Hey Corb,

Please allow me to disassociate myself from almost every member on this site and say that I'm sorry the mods on this site do a super-shitty job in filtering bigotry, racism, bullying and belittling comments from the threads.

There are a few people on this site who have a clue what they're talking about when it comes to aboriginal rights, aboriginal title areas, property held in fee simple, and reservation land. Unfortunately, they are a minority and not overly vocal. I don't blame them. It gets old trying to explain something when people just don't want to hear or understand it. They don't like the shitty legacy that they inherited from our political forefathers. Neither do I really, but understanding how it came to be helps me cope with the fact that I am a descendant of a non-aboriginal culture that finds itself here in many cases illegally, and at very least, with lesser hunting rights than aboriginals. Am I envious that aboriginals' right to hunt is entrenched in the constitution and mine is not? You betcha. Do I reluctantly accept the reality of our nation's (and specifically, our Province's) cultural history and what it means today? Yes.

As an answer to the original question:

Although the title "traditional territory" has implications on aboriginal hunting rights, it does not equate to FN reserve lands nor lands held in fee simple (private), and thus isn't off-limits, unless perhaps they have marked their reserve boundary with those signs, in which case they can control access because it is FN reserve, not because it's traditional territory. A quick search in the "administrative layers" folder in IMAP BC will reveal whether the spot is on reserve or not.
    Not sure where in this thread was there a lot of stereotyping , bigotry, racism, bullying and belittling, except for 1 comment on a liquor store, Read from the beginning, a lot of facts were said and opinions, which every member should be able to express without the 5 items you mention. sometimes the truth hurts abit.

Simply put,,I think we would all get along better,,if there was only one set of rules,,that we all, had to follow,,,but that would take a government with a spine, to impliment.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterock View Post
    Simply put,,I think we would all get along better,,if there was only one set of rules,,that we all, had to follow,,,but that would take a government with a spine, to impliment.
    i think it might be more appropriate to say that we'd get along better if everybody understood what the rules actually are and not just pontificate on how things are reflected in the way the rules should be, in their personal opinions; however uninformed they may be.

there is one set of rules - it's called Canadian law; legislation and common law. Civil, criminal and various other specialties. The system provides that if you are owed some particular right by someone else, that you be able to make a case and enforce that right. The same system allows for others to negotiate their interests on their own behalf just as you do yours, even if those interests may be antipathetic to your own.

the real issue, is Canada didn't allow FN to appropriately negotiate and enforce their interests in good faith for a significant period of time. That was criminal - hmmm, maybe the old saying "crime doesn't pay" does come back to haunt you when the law comes back into balance. We should acknowledge that fact as a society so that a) we can prevent it from creating future liabilities that we'll have to come up with a way to pay, and b) it doesn't happen to "us" as well.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post

Waiting on this to happen, as related to the issues in question, is much akin to awaiting hell freezing over.

Really

Nog
    welcome to how the other side must have felt for the last 150 years.

I am a motorcyclist,,3 sets of rules...I am a boater,,2 sets,,,I am a hunter, 2 sets,,dont need a reply,to this,,its fact. Im out.

2 sets of rules only apply if the sheeple allow them by following them.