Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
i think it might be more appropriate to say that we'd get along better if everybody understood what the rules actually are and not just pontificate on how things are reflected in the way the rules should be, in their personal opinions; however uninformed they may be.

there is one set of rules - it's called Canadian law; legislation and common law. Civil, criminal and various other specialties. The system provides that if you are owed some particular right by someone else, that you be able to make a case and enforce that right. The same system allows for others to negotiate their interests on their own behalf just as you do yours, even if those interests may be antipathetic to your own.

the real issue, is Canada didn't allow FN to appropriately negotiate and enforce their interests in good faith for a significant period of time. That was criminal - hmmm, maybe the old saying "crime doesn't pay" does come back to haunt you when the law comes back into balance. We should acknowledge that fact as a society so that a) we can prevent it from creating future liabilities that we'll have to come up with a way to pay, and b) it doesn't happen to "us" as well.
your Quote "there is one set of rules"......
That is where the issue lays......
The FN Blockades are "illegal"....yet that "one set of rules does not apply....atleast not if it is done by FN.
If I, a resident hunter/s, set up the same blockade...then that one set of rules applies...
It is not a 2-way street anymore.
But, I guess one day, there will be a fallout from this inequality that is going on.
Just don't know when or where it will happen....but it will.
Another saying as someone said " crime doesn't pay"...true....
But, another saying is "2 wrongs don't make a right".....
We are now at the "2 wrongs don't make a right" stage.....
I have nothing against FN....have met some really nice people that are FN over the years.
Just like residents (non FN), there are some Residents and FN who are just jerks (to put it lightly), but,
that doesn't apply to everyone.
The truth is....the planet is "too small" to have different sets of rules for different groups.
FN have to accept the fact, as we all do, that the planet is becoming more heavily populated by the day....and snowballing.
Traditional territories will have to be a thing of the past...
As I said, this is my home, my native land as well....its the only place I have ever known....just like any FN.
I have as much right to access all the places in BC that are legal for me to be.
Blockades are illegal, and should be seen as such....no matter how you slice it.
God, if this had been China, this wouldn't even be a conversation to talk about.

There are 2 sets of rules in BC right now....not one.....which it should be....and that is the point I am trying to make.
My point is not "racists based".....it's just what is going on.

If I were to say "only people in BC who live here 12 months a year, can only buy a house here in BC"...
Does that make me racists???
Just because the majority of those who buy houses, who are foreigners, are mainly Asian...is my comment and
proposal now "racist"????
No, it could effect anyone.....germans, western European etc.

I do agree, throwing in the comment " liquor store etc" are inappropriate....and racist stereotyping.

All I am saying is....it should be one law for us all.
And if I say "maybe we should block the "reservations"....that isn't racist...
I am just putting the point across of what the FN are doing to the rest of us with there "illegal blockades"

The reality is....there is no one going to SCC to fight some of these matters on the behalf of residents of BC.
Until a group is put together, that can raise money thru fundraisers and membership etc...
There will never be the "money" to fight these situations that are going on right now in court.
If balance is to come back to this province and elsewhere...that is what is needed to make it happen....
So until then....this BS with blockades and Traditional territories will continue...
It would be appropriate to bring this to court...much gentler to settle in this manner....
But...no one on the Government wants to take this on right now....so unfortunately...
there is a risk that "extreme situations" make develop at some point due to this situation right now.
And that is a "no win" for anybody...just people at risk of getting hurt.
One planet, one land...one rule is all I am saying.
Time to bring the "pendulum" back to the "middle"....that's all