Thread: Better late than never! (It's about time)

Better late than never! (It's about time)

Hi folks,
    i just thought I would introduce myself. I'm 42 years old and I have the hunting bug bad! I live in Golden and have been stomping around the hills here for 18 years doing various foresters related jobs. I'm retired from working in the bush now and have picked up a trade as a Tin basher/woodstove intaller. I still get out in the hills with my family as much as I can.
    I've been meaning to get into hunting for around twenty years. It's taken that long to remember to take the CORE training before hunting season. I took the CORE course online in January of this year. I wrote the exam in April. I'm just waiting for my licence to arrive in the mail.
    The reasons I decided to finally get on with it are many. The main driving force for my new found obsession is my family. I have three young boys that I have a great desire to feed and teach. I want to provide them with healthy, ethical and sustainable meat.
    We grow a lot of our own food and raise chickens for eggs, but the fact is is we also eat meat and a lot of it. So it's about time I got off my ass and did something about it!
    I want my boys to grow up in a hunting family. I want them to think of hunting as second nature. I want them to be interested and engauged in the art of hunting and providing for themselves and their future families. My father hunted, but he was not interested in spending time with his children. He didn't teach me or my brother the fundamentals of hunting so we were left to figure it out for ourselves. I intend to be there for my boys every step of the way and teach them everything they need to know about providing for themselves. I hope someday they will become masters of the art of hunting and maybe someday they will become the teachers. Maybe someday they will take the old man hunting and teach him a thing of two!
    Anyways, I am looking forward to learning and laughing with/from all you folks here on the forum.
    Regards,
    Chad

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Better late than never! (It's about time)

Congratulations Chad, and welcome to the fraternity, best of luck to you and your kids, on a side note,you'll be
    kicking yourself for having waited so long to commence the adventure.

Welcome Chad that is great you want to be a hunter and to put food on the table.
    Hopefully your boys will take a interest in it to. Then it will be a great time for you to spend in the outdoors with your boys.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenthumbed View Post
    Hi folks,
    i just thought I would introduce myself. I'm 42 years old and I have the hunting bug bad! I live in Golden and have been stomping around the hills here for 18 years doing various foresters related jobs. I'm retired from working in the bush now and have picked up a trade as a Tin basher/woodstove intaller. I still get out in the hills with my family as much as I can.
    I've been meaning to get into hunting for around twenty years. It's taken that long to remember to take the CORE training before hunting season. I took the CORE course online in January of this year. I wrote the exam in April. I'm just waiting for my licence to arrive in the mail.
    The reasons I decided to finally get on with it are many. The main driving force for my new found obsession is my family. I have three young boys that I have a great desire to feed and teach. I want to provide them with healthy, ethical and sustainable meat.
    We grow a lot of our own food and raise chickens for eggs, but the fact is is we also eat meat and a lot of it. So it's about time I got off my ass and did something about it!
    I want my boys to grow up in a hunting family. I want them to think of hunting as second nature. I want them to be interested and engauged in the art of hunting and providing for themselves and their future families. My father hunted, but he was not interested in spending time with his children. He didn't teach me or my brother the fundamentals of hunting so we were left to figure it out for ourselves. I intend to be there for my boys every step of the way and teach them everything they need to know about providing for themselves. I hope someday they will become masters of the art of hunting and maybe someday they will become the teachers. Maybe someday they will take the old man hunting and teach him a thing of two!
    Anyways, I am looking forward to learning and laughing with/from all you folks here on the forum.
    Regards,
    Chad
    Welcome Chad and congrats to you're new addiction. You're in a great area as you can go so many directions. I spent many years chasing elk all around that area and have had some solid success. Some of the most incredible valleys, steep slides and don't forget the pine mushrooms just to your south/south east. Nothing better than spending time in the outdoors with your family. Congrats again ��
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Hi Greenthumbed, there's so much to learn, but the curve can be pretty quick. Especially if you have lots of general backcountry experience.
    Myself and my hunting partner have recently started recording podcasts on the subject of backcountry hunting. We're based out of Calgary, and most of the hunting we do is in our mountain units on public land. We strive to provide authentic, usable info for hunters. We try to bring the conversation back to novice hunters and what they should know.
    Maybe give us a listen.
    I hope you like it.
    John.
    www.highlanderhunting.podbean.com

Hi John
    Thanks for the invite to your podcast. As it turns out I have already listened to the first few episodes and have recently subscribed. I have four or five different hunting podcasts on the go that I listen to while at work. Your podcast is in the rotation. I like hearing about hunting in my area which I'm sure you guys probably get close to the Golden area on your hunting adventures.
    regards,
    Chad

Thanks to all you kind folk for the welcome to HBC. I have been stopping in here daily for the knowledgeable insight and the friendly banter.
    I do already regret not getting into hunting earlier in life, but as the post title says "better late than never!"
    My family is already joining me on my earlier season scouting missions. They're are trying really hard to walk quietly through the land. They already have a keen eye for watching for signs of game and can sit quiet and attentivlely while we are glassing. My boys have shown a keen interest in shooting their compound bow while I'm practising with my longbow.
    I do have an interest in trying my hand at most game, big and small, there is a few that I am really keen on and elk might be on the top of that list. The large quantity of the best meat I have ever eaten and the grand adventure that is an elk hunt makes me really excited to get out there.
    Thanks again for the welcome!
    regards,
    Chad

The problem is when you do get in to hunting you well have less money. Plus you well kick yourself around the block for not doing it 20 years ago. Trivial problems get it done.