Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabbits in 4-8 and 4-9

Rabbits in 4-8 and 4-9

Hello! This is my first post in this forum. Last year I became a permanent resident in Canada and I am in the process of getting my PAL (paperwork is in the mail) and my hunting papers (doing the CORE course in a couple of weeks) in order. One of my favorite animals to go after are rabbits (and hares, I guess). I've hunted them with a .22 on the odd occasion, but I mostly snared them. The landscape I know them in are gently rolling hills with nothing but short grass and rocky cliffs and with trees only along the rivers and creeks in the bottom of the valleys.

Now I find myself in the heavily treed mountains in the Trail area and though I have seen the odd hare and rabbit cross the road, it is pretty obvious I know next to nothing about them here. I intend to go on some outings to try and find them and see how they behave until I can hunt them, but I'm not sure where to start. I figured cut blocks with some new growth would be a good place to start, but I don't really know.

Does anyone have advice on the little critters themselves, their numbers, behavior in this area (I might even make it up to the lower parts of 4-14 - 4-18 or the west part of 4-&), where to find (and hunt) them or where to go to find this information. Maybe I'll get some of this information during the CORE course, but I'm inpatient...

Thank you!
    Ben

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rabbits in 4-8 and 4-9

Rabbits are pretty rare around 4-8 and 4-9. The most rabbits I have seen is around jewel lake but only in the park.

Go over the Santa Rosa from Rossland, down to the slopes above the highway at Christina Lake, used to see lots on the sideroads off the main SR.

No rabbits, can be lots of snowshoe hares. some years good and others not so. If you hunt 4-09 on the blueberry Paulsen and take the older grown in logging roads you will find some once the season opens on Aug 1. I don't find the hares very good eating and have not killed any in years, they are not like a nice fat rabbit. I would rather wait a month and shoot some nice ruffed grouse

Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    No rabbits, can be lots of snowshoe hares. some years good and others not so. If you hunt 4-09 on the blueberry Paulsen and take the older grown in logging roads you will find some once the season opens on Aug 1. I don't find the hares very good eating and have not killed any in years, they are not like a nice fat rabbit. I would rather wait a month and shoot some nice ruffed grouse
    Like he said, they like the older,grown in logging roads, where the stands of regrown trees are maybe 10-15 years old, and the road sides are thick with alder....they like to come out during the summer/early fall months on the roads in these habitats early morning or the hour before the last hour of light, as I believe during that time they're warming up on the roads....you can also find their tracks and activity lots during the winter, but seeing and shooting one during that time is very hard I find...

Thanks everyone for the quick replies and the good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    I don't find the hares very good eating and have not killed any in years, they are not like a nice fat rabbit. I would rather wait a month and shoot some nice ruffed grouse
    Sounds like when I worked in New Zealand: we ate the rabbits and the dogs ate the hares. I won't go to town on them until I know if I like them or not. I never had grouse, but I'm keen to try them. Is it doable to hunt them with a .22?

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    Go over the Santa Rosa from Rossland, down to the slopes above the highway at Christina Lake, used to see lots on the sideroads off the main SR.
    I drove from Rossland to Christina Lake last week. Looking at all the cut blocks with a couple years worth or regrowth I figured that would be my first place to go look for them.

thanks again!

all good advice given. in particular I'd second Dewey's comment on the santa rosa road going west from Rossland - drive it at dusk & you'll see lots if its a good bunny year.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerb View Post
    In particular I'd second Dewey's comment on the santa rosa road going west from Rossland - drive it at dusk.
    Is that the Cascade Road? On my map I only see one road headed west from Rossland and it is the Cascade. I see the Santa Rossa road going east from Christina Lake, but it seems to just end.

Hi, yes a .22 is good for grouse. I usually don't even notice them till I'm 10' from them. They often just sit there. I haven't any experience with rabbits, but I'd sure like to get some myself. I never see them here on the island though. Good on you for continuing with your hunting now that you're here in Canada.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

One other thing. I just got my RPAL, and I recommend getting your application reference number and then having your references call in with it for their interviews. Took about 45 days in total.
    When in doubt, just pin it.