Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunters blamed again?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunters blamed again?

Maybe, but this one may have the legs to prove it. I don't doubt that there is still enough lead shot in the ground that is being accidentally digested by the waterfowl.

At least a hunter would end an animals suffering, when death was imminent, not run video for social media. Sickening what some will do to gain attention.

But should they not find lead shot in the gizzards if that is the case? I remember watching a documentary on swans dying in a pond along the border in Abbotsford. The gizzards were full of old lead shot. Highly doubt that all 12 eagles would not have any.

RiverOtter, that was my first thought as well. When he says the animals final 15 minutes are so hard to watch then don't. End it! If the animal has no chance of recovery euthanize it, don't let it suffer. If they are not allowed get someone who is!
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

I'm curious to know what this "device" is that they are using for testing the lead. I thought you had to do blood tests to get proper lead level readings. That is how it is done in humans, why would animals be any different?

it is like when the cat dragged home a big mouse and was playing with it while it squeeled away..my wife was so facinated that when i said thats enough and grabbed a stick to kill it she actually said "dont be cruel...lets just watch what Millie(the cat) does"....i shook my head and quickly clubbed it to death and promptly reminded her what cruel actually means....the voyeurs would rather watch suffering and comment on how sad it is without realizing they have the power to end the suffering

At this point in time, with all the agendas to end hunting, I'm gonna need to see hard evidence. Actual lead shot in the crop, gizzard or digestive tract would be a good start, with secondary confirmation from a biologist supplied by a hunting organization.

Elevated lead levels do NOT automatically mean lead shot/bullet ingestion. Period.

Eagles eat a lot of fish in certain areas and based on the concentration of affected birds in this case, that possibility deserves a hard look.

I was listening to a Steve Rinella podcast way back and Steve mentioned that he had a vegetable garden that he had the soil tested. Apparently, it had significant amounts of lead in it and was told it was mainly due to the leaded gasoline used back in the day. Unless there is hard evidence of lead shot in their gut, it could be a variety of factors that caused the lead poisoning.

Another point...Lead shot has be banned for waterfowl hunting for a number of years and upland use is extremely spread out. Now, all of a sudden we have 12 cases in a concentrated area and automatically lead shot is the culprit?

Something smells here.

Quote Originally Posted by JLsteel View Post
    I was listening to a Steve Rinella podcast way back and Steve mentioned that he had a vegetable garden that he had the soil tested. Apparently, it had significant amounts of lead in it and was told it was mainly due to the leaded gasoline used back in the day. Unless there is hard evidence of lead shot in their gut, it could be a variety of factors that caused the lead poisoning.
    Thanks Gents, I am pleased to read that there are other potential sources, and not just shot. I guess until someone actually tests all the feed sources for lead poisoning (waterfowl, fish, rodents, reptiles) , all their talk is just conjecture. It would be interesting to see if these other potential prey are suffering from lead build-up in tissue and from what sources (industrial effluents, residential pollution etc).