Thread: Mid Week Get Away

Mid Week Get Away

Being thankful for the supportive wife, I decided that a mid week hunt was a going to be the best opportunity this bear season. Arranged with a buddy, packed the truck and headed off to the lower region 8 on Tuesday night. Got up there early evening and decided to try somewhere new. Headed back in about 22k seeing lots of skat thinking bonus, this is going to be a new area to learn. Yes, this was a short hunt and a lot of miles in the truck scouting various areas.

The FSR goes through a relatively new clear cut and looks to connect to an older area. One thing I didn't count on, the quick sand under what appeared to be solid road. Truck is buried over the font axles... thankfully they left us 1 tree stump that was big enough to winch us out but that became the time to turn around. Sun Down was just around the corner and we just weren't seeing a lot.

Bring on 0430 and a new day, decided to head back into an area I've been the last few years and while it had never produced for me (always there in the weekend) it felt like the place to go. Climbing up the hill and there is a ruddy big cougar there looking at us, and this one wasn't wearing high heels and pancaked make up. First time I've come across one in the wild and was pretty pumped by it.

Over the hills and down into the first clear cut and there is a bull moose showing 2 tines growing standing there looking up at us. Damn, another first since being here. This is looking to be a good day. Just off to the side we spot a decent sized black bear just mosing his way through a patch of grass. Back down and around the hill in the truck and start to walk into find him. A steaming pile of scat big enough to choke a donkey but no sign of him. The moose has wandered down a little further and after scenting us vanishes into the trees. Amazing how quietly that gangly looking creature can move.

Anyway, back to our original plan, drive up a few ks, park and walk down the spurs. Again a lot of scat but nothing more, well except the 2 elk and a few more mulies. By this time we have decided even if we don't get a bear this had been a great scouting trip. As we gain elevation all signs stop so we decide to head back down to the first clear. With the grumbling of stomach we setup the bbq on the tailgate and.. oh bugger I forgot the damn grill plate on the bbq. Well time to balance the frying pan and cook the bacon and eggs that way. Yes I will admit I would not have been sorry if a big old bruin had decided that bacon smelled nice but no....

Pack up and some more scouting around, no sign so head off down another valley. Cruising along past the thick on the side of the creek. Starting to get into the burnt log, burnt log, black hole, burnt log and more burn log but shit that ones moving.. keep driving along (yes I read that on here somewhere) until we crested the hill and parked up. Breeze is right in our face as we walk back, couldn't ask for better.

Getting close down to where we saw him, low down and looking through the trees and there he is. Nothing huge, 2-3 year old, facing away stuffing his face on the clover and grass. Side step, ease down the wind dies... head comes up, turns broadside and take the shot. Leaps forward across the road, by now I'm thinking did I screw that up, I didn't pull, time to spend the day following a blood trail.... Just as he goes to leap the ditch he stands up and falls over.

Wait for the final throes, bring the truck up and get to work. Turns out the heart was split and he definitely wasn't going anywhere. Now this was a record breaking skinning and processing due to the unbelievably large and vicious mosquitoes. 40 plus bites by the time he was in the truck. Pack him in the cooler and head off up a different couple of spurs. Around a corner and a beautiful cinnamon ass is disappearing into the trees, wide, thick and definitely caught the eye. Could we be so lucky......

Up a little further and start glassing the clear cut on the opposite side waiting for him to come out. Again the wind is with us, luck of the irish it has swung through the compass. Never did find that bugger but we will definitely be back there.

By this time the day is getting through and we still have a long drive back to the lower mainland via a quick stop on some snow to top off the cooler.

Not the biggest bear but my first and will definitely be chasing them in the fall.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mid Week Get Away

Congrats on your first bear. Got any pictures?