Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sweish or Creedmoor ?

Re: Sweish or Creedmoor ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltbullken View Post
    A 6.5 Swede loaded in a modern rifle to modern pressures will outperform a Creed. Period!
    Afternoon Lt., just curious to find out more detail about your statement, I like the OP are in the market for a softer shooting more accurate and lighter rifle than the old trusty (but heavy) .308 and am looking at the 6.5 more and more daily. I know you shoot/hunt quite a bit, what have you found that makes the Swede superior to the Creed in an actual hunting situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltbullken View Post
    A 6.5 Swede loaded in a modern rifle to modern pressures will outperform a Creed. Period!
    This is definitely true.

But now you are going above max loadings for published data. Not everyone is comfortable doing that... meow meows

also the swede is to long to fit a short action. not that a long action adds a bunch more weight, but if Im going to go long action Im probably going to step up to a 264 mag.
    Last edited by Rotorwash; 06-02-2017 at 03:50 PM.

I really think worrying about performance differences between the CM, 260 and 6.5x55 is pointless. On game the differences would be completely unnoticed.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by Linksman313 View Post
    Afternoon Lt., just curious to find out more detail about your statement, I like the OP are in the market for a softer shooting more accurate and lighter rifle than the old trusty (but heavy) .308 and am looking at the 6.5 more and more daily. I know you shoot/hunt quite a bit, what have you found that makes the Swede superior to the Creed in an actual hunting situation?
    What would make the Swede superior is that if it is loaded to standard cartridge pressures (like a 308 for instance) in a modern firearm - which IMHO would be safe - the powder capacity would exceed what you could load in a Creed to the same pressures. A Swede holds 57.5 gr H20 and a Creed holds 52.5 gr H20; the Swede holds 5 grains more of powder! The fact you can put more powder in a Swede means you will/should get more MV or performance out of it than a Creed. Much Swede load data factors in old actions that were not built to hold up to what a current modern action would be able to sustain. So if you are firing an old 1900-turn of the century or older pattern action rifle, you would need to observe the load data. You would need to source modern 6.5 Swede data or work up, as they say, and observe for pressure signs.

I've shot a 260 Rem before. Killed an elk DRT with a 130 gr TSX at 120 paces. The 260 is close to a Swede but the Swede will exceed it if properly loaded.
    Last edited by Ltbullken; 06-02-2017 at 04:14 PM.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Really comes down to what kind of rifle you want.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Really comes down to what kind of rifle you want.
    As Gate says above,

I did a quick search of rifles/calibers for sale online in the US at one of the more popular sites and the 6.5 Creedmoor has 1300 new bolt action rifles for sale and the 6.5x55 has 200 for sale........the 6.5 CM is getting up there with the 7mm-08 and 270 for sales, wouldn't surprise me if it surpasses most calibers in sales in years to come.

I would go with the 6.5 CM, great little cartridge.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

So, is "popular" always best? Perhaps, a Ford 150 4x4 will outperform a Land Cruiser or MB G-Wagen?

The old Scandahoovian round is found in one of the best production rifles ever built, the legendary HVA series and EVERY smart Norske, knows this and buys these rifles frequently, ya?

If, I were young and could afford all the guns I NEED, I would soon have an early HVA 4100 steel BM built with a Benchmark, Lilja or other fine sts tube, in 8.5-1 twist. chambered 6.5x55 and run it with Lapua brass and 125 NPs at close on 2900 with less kick than most comparable rounds and a history of whacking BIG animals that only the equally venerable 7mm Mauser can equal.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I will own a 6.5x55 some day. Id like one in a husky, or a Tikka. The creedmore has my attention too, but I like the classic rounds, just like my 375 H&H. moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

I bought the wife a used Tikka stainless in 25-06 so we can be trendy and rebarrel to a Creed! Cannot wait to finish it up and get shooting.....Creed has my vote

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    So, is "popular" always best? Perhaps, a Ford 150 4x4 will outperform a Land Cruiser or MB G-Wagen?

The old Scandahoovian round is found in one of the best production rifles ever built, the legendary HVA series and EVERY smart Norske, knows this and buys these rifles frequently, ya?

If, I were young and could afford all the guns I NEED, I would soon have an early HVA 4100 steel BM built with a Benchmark, Lilja or other fine sts tube, in 8.5-1 twist. chambered 6.5x55 and run it with Lapua brass and 125 NPs at close on 2900 with less kick than most comparable rounds and a history of whacking BIG animals that only the equally venerable 7mm Mauser can equal.
    Of course not you old squarehead, I was just pointing out the obvious popularity and the fact that most rifle companies now chamber the 6.5 CM, so if your going to run down to the corner sports shop chances are they will have new rifles chambered in the 6.5CM and probably not in the 6.5x55.......but if your building a rifle it hardly matters than as your options are limitless.......but not everyone can or wants to build !

You do know that
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 06-02-2017 at 08:55 PM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America