Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sweish or Creedmoor ?

Sweish or Creedmoor ?

A 6.5 mm will probably be my next rifle . The only question I have is what calibre ? I'm considering the two named above and plan to reload. What are the pros and cons of each regarding performance ? Regarding reloading, I have the impression that Swedish components are harder to find here in North America.

Thanks,

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sweish or Creedmoor ?

I had a Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine, Redfield mounts and Kollmorgen 2.75x scope some 50 years ago, chambered in 6.5x55 and it was a freakin' DRILL.

Before some "egspurt" beaks off about, "they never made that, it was a 6.5x54, blah, blah, blah", the piece was a Model 1961MCA and M-S made a LOT of different chamberings. In fact, I was just looking at one the very same IN 6.5 MS this morning, but, resisted.

So, while the Creedmore, has it's points, a strong rifle in 6.5 Swede, can be loaded to drive a 140NP at 2800 fps-mv. with groups that will "blow your mind". There is LOTS of components here in Canada and it is an outstanding beginners or anyone else's piece.

Look for an older, minty HVA-4100 so chambered and have Gary Flach, install a nice synthetic stock on it and you have a rifle for a lifetime.

I think either would be great. I shoot a Creedmoor, and it's fast become my favorite cartridge
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

6.5x47 Lapua should be mentioned in the same conversation as those other two.

The 6.5 swede is nice..... if ya don't like it.. you can change it to a 6.5 x 284.. as for the Creed it stays as is .. for now.

I'm sort of in the same place, I like the 6.5x55 because it's a classic European chambering and I like the old tried and true. I also like the 6.5 Creedmor because it's pretty cool and also pretty quick. Choices, choices, what to do? If I had no end of money I'd buy both and keep the one that shoots better. It is hard to justify for me though since I already have a 25-06, 7mm-08, and a 270 that all do basically the same job. I really like low recoiling effective cartridges. I still want a 6.5.

This is perfectly normal in the mind of a true "gunnut" so do not fret, most of us feel much this way.

I was on the Tradex site an hour since and they have several HVA 1600s in 6.5x55, these can be made into superb, light rifles and are not expensive.

Have a look at them, fine actions and easy to build on.

There's the 260 rem as well. if your planning on reloading and you have 243 or 7-08 brass then your laughing. factory ammo is expensive tho.

I have a 65 cm as well. love both of them. both guns shoot tiny groups with little recoil with 123sst and h4350.

I dont own a 6.5x55 but its just a matter of time till I find the right one when i have the cash in my pocket.

The numbers are so close between 6.5 cm, the 260 and the 6.5x55. And really the 7-08 isnt much different ballisticly and probably kills a little better.

A 6.5 Swede loaded in a modern rifle to modern pressures will outperform a Creed. Period!
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

I just sold a 260 Rem because I thought I might downsize, but could I really do that, No I couldnt so I bought a 6.5x55 Voere, nice old Walnut and blue rifle and find it very accurate with kind of a slow load 2650fps using 130 gr Accubonds, I tried some hotter loads up to and around 2800fps but got into too much pressure and groups were not all that great.