Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sweish or Creedmoor ?

Re: Sweish or Creedmoor ?

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    plaese explain how a 7-08 kills BETTER....... I dont understand how people make comments like this.
    A 140 @ 2700 vs a 162 @2700 same velocity and slightly heavier bullets and slight diameter increase. Same sectional density and a slightly better g1 bc.

Why wouldn't it kill better?

I mean if we are going to split hairs let's grab some scissors
    The 6.5x55 gives a max velocity of 2650 with 140s

From the time I was 18 until I was 30ish, I hunted with a 270win( 130gr tax @ 2960 ) Everything I pulled the trigger on died with 1-2shots max. One time I took a the old mans 300win mag(180gr Speer mag tips @ 3100fps )out and shot a bull elk at 57yds( lung shot ) then at 70yds( lung shot again ) then after walking towards the downed elk I had to put another one in the head around 50yds.

So does this mean the 270 kills better than a 300 win mag?? NO.......It doesn't matter if the animal dies instantly, or if it runs 20, 50 or even 200yds, dead is dead. One animal can't be more dead than another animal.

Your in a huff about this?
    "The numbers are so close between 6.5 cm, the 260 and the 6.5x55. And really the 7-08 isnt much different ballisticly and probably kills a little better."

Does this make you happy?
    The numbers are so close between 6.5 cm, the 260 and the 6.5x55. And really the 7-08 isnt much different ballisticly and delivers more ft/lbs energy on target.

I was just saying that they are basically identical performers, just choose what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorwash View Post
    The 6.5x55 gives a max velocity of 2650 with 140s
    maybe when loaded to SAAMI specs for the old Swedish Mauser rifles. In a modern rifle, it will push them to 2800-3000 fps depending on powder
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5x55mm View Post
    A 6.5 Swede loaded in a modern rifle to modern pressures will outperform a Creed. Period! You got it. The swede will always outperform creed in a modern action. Creedmoor brass is harder to find for sure.
    Creedmoor brass and factory ammo is everywhere these days. This is a very popular cartridge right now.

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunterab View Post
    Creedmoor brass and factory ammo is everywhere these days. This is a very popular cartridge right now.
    Yes, I think even Lapua is making CM brass now
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorwash View Post
    Your in a huff about this?
    "The numbers are so close between 6.5 cm, the 260 and the 6.5x55. And really the 7-08 isnt much different ballisticly and probably kills a little better."

Does this make you happy?
    The numbers are so close between 6.5 cm, the 260 and the 6.5x55. And really the 7-08 isnt much different ballisticly and delivers more ft/lbs energy on target.

I was just saying that they are basically identical performers, just choose what you like.
    Im not in a huff about anything.....just hate when people make the classic " my gun/caliber kills better than yours" comment. It has to be the most ignorant comment I've heard any hunter say. Shot placement is the most important variable when it comes to bullet effectiveness.

Ah well maybe I misinterpreted. I really didnt think anyone would take it my comment that way. I was only saying that those 3 calibers have very similar performance and that the 7-08 does as well. and you can do it with a bit heavier bullet with more terminal energy.

Thats all I was getting at.

I agree that shot placement is the most important factor. second would be a well constructed bullet.

here is some chrony results :

6.5x55 Tikka 22.4” brl
    143gr ELD-X @ 3.17”
    RL26
    Lapua brass
    51.0grs ~ 2814

51.5grs ~ 2850
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

those are some great numbers. What data are you using?