Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: carcass disposal

Re: carcass disposal

Quote Originally Posted by Busterpayton54 View Post
    I think hiding it only hurts us. Keep it visual and accepted as normal. Once upon a one it was common place to see a moose head tied to the front of a truck after a successful hunt. Now you'll get the seat ten deployed at the sight of a rifle in a gun rack.

Sometimes trying to live under the raydar ain't s good thing. Let's not act like hunting is a deviant nature. Every incur lost to he anti's is an inch lost. We wouldn't have lasted as a species if it wasn't for killing and hunting. In that order too.

Thise whoare easily offended are weak. Do we really need to cater to the weak? Is that even a good idea?

our ownthrinkin of trying to be less offensive to the weak is the demise of the strong.

If anything thank the unarguable substinence hunter for making an example of hunting for meat rather than fur, skull and claw.... not that there's anything wrong with that either.
    Really interesting perspective! I like it. If I have to be tolerant of other peoples lifestyles, then they should show hunters the same consideration.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    Really interesting perspective! I like it. If I have to be tolerant of other peoples lifestyles, then they should show hunters the same consideration.
    If your gutpile and scraps are left in a place others are likely to run into it (ie: road, someone one foot) it is creating a safety hazard... vehicle vs animal or someone getting mauled by a critter that claims it.

I get what you are saying (and TBH can't decide whether it helps or hurts from that perspective) but a gutpile/scraps left on a road or hiking trail etc is a safety issue

Anywhere near a camp too is just plain offensive. Not even the most enthusiastic hunter wants to camp near a stinky gutpile let alone the general public.

I also understand the frustration about having to deal with other people pushing their beliefs and what not, but we have a moral high ground and keeping our compusure complements that nicely.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 06-16-2017 at 11:15 PM.

I think we're in total agreement about gut piles. They can be a real hazard for people and wildlife. I'm thinking more about hiding the fact that I'm a hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    I think we're in total agreement about gut piles. They can be a real hazard for people and wildlife. I'm thinking more about hiding the fact that I'm a hunter.
    I get it, 100% ... I just went an edited my last post to add a paragraph about that. It's mostly related. We definitely don't need to hide, but we don't want to flaunt in the wrong way either. I hope that makes sense.

Sure does. Not hiding, but also respecting the viewpoints of others.

Leaving a gutpile in the bush is like a deuce tucked under a rock. Leaving a gutpile on a trail or road edge is like finding a pile of TP and streaks, leaves ya thinking about the a*# who left it. Where it gets left is everything. When I find a bunch of fur in the bush, I think lucky bugger; when I see if at the entrance to a mainline ....

I move guts away from the road out of courtesy to other land users. No need to pack the guts out since scavengers will get them. A couple of years ago after getting a nice deer I went back a day later to look for a rope that fell out of my truck, and there was no trace of the guts. Rope was there though. Same with the bear I got last season. I took a buddy out the next day to show him where to find bears and all the guts were gone.

Nature is very efficient.

Leave what i am not eating where they fall..

Kill a moose on the side of the road lets see you drag those guts away.

When I dump bones and such after processing, they go onto the bush where no one will see, smell or unlikely to walk into.

That said Id be a hypocrite if I didnt say I shot a couple deer right off the road( logging roads away from population). Never had an issue with it and leaving the guts right there.

A couple years back a buddy and I stumbled onto a griz feeding on such a gut pile on as we walked out of the bush on road after shooting light.

Was very tense and we were lucky the bear inially ran into the bush 20 yards and stopped and slowly circled us down wind. (was a fairly young bear). We were able to get by unscathed as we pasded the guts by quartering away and not right beside them but that was one pissed of bear. We would of bern toast if it was a mature bear.

I wont leave a gut pile on the side of a road again.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 05-27-2021 at 01:27 PM.

When I get a bear or deer I leave the hide and guts in the bush or if actually on a road I drag or toss them off to the side.

I save and use every bone for soup, if it is a bear I skin out the head and bury it for a year then dig it up and wash it off for my collection.

I saw off the antlers and skin out the deer heads for soup.

I have very little to discard, more than the skin of the heads that just go out double wrapped in the garbage.