Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: carcass disposal

carcass disposal

long story short i was on my way down the mountain driving on the logging road coming home from fishing, i do hunt but only grouse really, so i am unsure if this was legal. But someone had left a blackbears head, many bones the spine and it was fresh, right on the road side, clearly it was shot in a more remote area then dumped on their way out of the bush, too me it seemed very unethical, i have no issue with hunting big game i just prefer grouse and fishing. But some people may not want to see that. Is it legal? i cant really find in the regs, sounds like they should have atleast taken the head?

thanks for the knowledge, this was near harrison

2. Site Sponsor

Re: carcass disposal

Sounds like someone was lucky enough to take a bear. Then used the gutless method. The bear was prob shot on the road. Can't see anyone "disposing" their stuff elsewhere.

I usually drag a carcass off the road so its out of sight. but thats just me. I dont think I would fault anyone if it was on the other side of the ditch. Ive dropped off a bear carcass in the evening and gone back to find a knife i dropped the next morning and its already gone. The carcass I mean. I found the knife

* If someone left it in the middle of the road where it could be hit by a car, thats another thing.*
    Last edited by Rotorwash; 05-31-2017 at 04:40 PM.

The LEAST I would do is dump it 5 feet into the bush.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Roll the guts and stuff off the shoulder and into the willows or brush. That stuff won't be there long. If you are a sustenance hunter, get used to it! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

It was probably shot on or near the road. It's best practice to drag things out of sight if it's somewhere people might be endangered or offended in anyway (or worse find your honey hole) that said, critters can pick it up and move it anywhere... maybe he did toss it in the bush? We boned out a bear (gutless method) this year. I came back a week later because I thought I left a bag of goodies (headlamp, tweezers, flagging tape) behind. We had thrown the legs off into the bush and rolled the rib cage/guts behind a stump... well, now it was 20 yards from where we left it, the intestines were completely removed. I was pretty impressed, as when we left it, it probably weighed over 100lbs... now it was 20 yards away and just "bare" ribs.

Last season I had to clean up after a slob hunter left 2 freshly cleaned deer carcasses right at the parking/hiking access for the area. The area is the edge of a residential neighborhood, a lot of people walk their dogs through there. I was so pissed off that someone would be so careless. So is it illegal? Technically not, but it is annoying, disrespectful, selfish, and a hell of a great way to make hunters look bad!

This is what the regs have to say on the matter
    Most municipalities have local bylaws restricting and controlling wildlife attractants and illegal dumping so hunters are reminded to dispose of carcasses and animal par ts responsibly.
    Carcasses are considered wildlife attractants and can attract large predators.Do not dispose of them within municipal boundaries or in areas frequented by the public.

Very well said, I figured that's exactly the way it went. We don't want to be portrayed that way so put in the extra time and do what you got to do to keep it away from people who don't hunt or may not be Kean on it. Thanks. Also isn't gutless style dressing harder than just gutting and skinning it for a butcher?

Depends if it is going to the butcher.i find it takes about the same time. And if it's something that's hard to lift into the back of a truck by yourself like a moose or a big sloppy bear it can be easier to deal with

Packing out all the bones, head and hide and what not often does not serve a purpose or isn't feasible. Stuff is going to be left behind. A lot of hunters don't take bears to the butcher either... just some hams in the freezer and grind up the rest. Others really like sausage and pepperoni and do take them to the butcher but it gets pricey.

Key is like others said... if it's a place other humans are likely to go (near a road, trail, etc) clean up the scene, otherwise it makes us look bad and it can be a safety issue too... you don't want a hiker to get mauled after another predator claims the leftovers or cause a car vs animal accident on a busy main FSR.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-31-2017 at 09:17 PM.