Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: carcass disposal

Re: carcass disposal

Not really unethical at all....most will be gone in the morning once the yotes and birds are done with it. Really your just returning it to nature anyway, the same way if that bear were to die naturally the yotes and birds would have in cleaned up within a couple days - circle of life. That being said, I usually throw over a bank or out of sight etc. as to not give people an excuse to be recreationally outraged.

Where to dispose of the gut pile and carcass is sometimes a dilemma. I once shot a big bear on the side of a long stretch of road with willows along the edge. Once it was gutted and mostly deboned, I rolled the remains into the ditch and did my best to pull them a few feet into the willows so it was out of sight. The next day as I was going down the road I was surprised to see what was left of the carcass back on the side of the road. I ran into a working crew who told me the story about some stupid hunter who shot a bear on the side of the road and then put the carcass just in the bush. (There was a blood trail from the road to the bush). They were walking by that area and got a real scare when another bear started growling at them and then crashed out of the area. They were workers, not hunters and didn't have guns. They let me know that they checked to see what the bear was doing so close to the road and found the carcass. They dragged it onto the road so that they would know if a bear was in the area they would see it and it wouldn't surprise them while it was hiding a few feet into the bush. I thought I was doing the right thing by not leaving animal parts in plain site for non hunters to see, photograph and complain about. As an aside, this was an interesting bear as I think it had just killed 3 cubs and gotten in a fight with the sow. The day before there was a sow with her 3 cubs by a creak about 100 yards from where I shot this bear. It was when I was looking at the creak area to find her that I noticed a bear by herself with a big patch of flesh missing from her hind end - like a flap of white skin hanging off her. There were no cubs with her and she was slowly limping along. The boar I shot was all torn up in its face with most of an ear missing. But now my dilemma is - should I continue to drag the carcass off the trail or open space where I shoot a bear or take the time to pull it out of site.

Shoot bear process were it falls repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Shoot bear process were it falls repeat...
    Agreed, I never understood why anyone would transport it and then gut it etc...unless it's in a terrible spot.