Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: warnniklz 2017

Re: warnniklz 2017

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    We pulled up to the base of dink mountain, I had enough light to burn up the hill and collect my trail cameras. I thought I had cleared all the grass in front of them. But there was some overhang behind them that triggered them when it was windy. The one camera had over 8000 pictures. But I did manage some...

At the bottom of the hill, I asked my dad "doesn't look like a bad hike does it?"

His reply was "no not that bad"

my comment was "hold that thought"
    Great spot for goats! I too said "not that bad" 26 years ago at that same spot. Went way up that friggin rock face . . . nice view up high but the enjoyment was short lived. Was either the best or worst chopper ride of my life!
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

Lol great photo of the BOONER old goat driving..Kerry...
    Great photos W.
    Say hi to Dad.
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    This run here?
    Yesssssssssss
    Thunderstick Moab hybrid longbow T/D 58" 52#@28". Jim Reynolds
    Crow Creek Crow Mag hybrid longbow 3/pc 60" 51#@28". Elmer Patton

Field editor @ Journal of Mountain Hunting

Just to the left of the alders, we got a pretty good packed trail now. Marked with yellow danger tree flagging tape. It'll be grown over come the summer. But for this year it'll do. Haven't heard of anyone else with the draw. Dink Mountain trail was pretty over grown. So no one has marched in there.

We got to our camping spot and did some glassing behind camp. There was a lone goat way up top below a cliff face. We starting discussing how we could get up there and how long it would be. Like stupid dummies, we didn't really pack overnight gear. We discussed if we had to, we'd go get some of those space blankets and maybe tough out a cold one if we had to. I did have my tent, but not a sleeping bag to backpack with. But we decided that we'd hit up Dink Mountain in the morning and decide on the goat behind camp later in the week.

We decided the next morning to spend the first bit of daylight glassing Dink Mountain. But from the bottom of the mountain, there's only so much property you can watch. Lots of ledges and cracks the goats can be bedded on. So we decided to start our hike in.

We got through the trail and hit the base of the mountain. Already soaked from the rain and walking through the wet vegetation. My dad ended up picking out some nannies and kids up near the snow line. We figured we'd make our way up and maybe jump more goats or spot something else.We spent the day climbing. On the way up, old pops there was making fun of the guys on hunting shows riding horses into a nice valley, shooting a goat, then having a bit of a pack and then riding horses back to camp. He was also wondering where our film crew as lol. I think they'd need both hands as well.

I said "this is why sheep hunters are gay"
    Dad replied "I think they're smarter than us"
    My reply was "Gay people can be smart"

We only had a couple hours of light left. It was our first day and we didn't want to blow our load on getting a better look at nannies and young billies. So we decided to head back to camp and be fresh for the next day.

Last edited by warnniklz; 10-25-2017 at 11:42 AM.

Since father was the only one with the tag, I somehow came up with the bright idea that I'd pack his rifle and the spotting scope... dummy

The video doesn't make the climb down look that steep, just makes it look like my dad has small legs... but he does not

On the climb/crawl up I just kept saying "hands and knees"
    On the way down, we had to shift into 4 low. Basically a lot of backwards and lowering ourselves down with the vegetation.
    Last edited by warnniklz; 10-25-2017 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BCbillies View Post
    Great spot for goats! I too said "not that bad" 26 years ago at that same spot. Went way up that friggin rock face . . . nice view up high but the enjoyment was short lived. Was either the best or worst chopper ride of my life!
    James was telling me your story about that. All the haywire stories of that place always escapes my mind when I start up that mountain.

Well long story short, we didn't end up getting my dad's goat. He went back up solo in November after all the heavy water. Tried a couple other spots. Never got one. He has an elk draw in McBride in February, but I'm trying to talk him out of that and go back up.