Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe to eat?

Safe to eat?

Hey all,
    boyfriend got his first big game animal yesterday! Yay a spring black bear! Going through the butchering process today and have found an number of very small skinny, short larvae looking critters in the meat. Just wonder if anyone has experienced this and if the bear is edible? We are new to bear butchering and are clueless. Will try and figure out how to post picture

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Safe to eat?

It's edible if you cook it. Predators and white fish often have worms. No Jack In The Box rare hamburgers for you.

Even if you ate it rare and got worms, the chance of death or debilitating injury is negligible. You're more likely to get Lyme Disease from the ticks on the outside of the critter.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

yep cook it up but always cook bear meat well done

What Surrey Boy and monashee said. Internal temperature of 165F is instant death for trichinella or any other parasite, and that is being conservative. A few seconds a 145F is probably safe, but we never chance it.

Bears will always have something, whether you can see it or not. I have always been confused why some people actually pay to get bear meat tested for trichinosis... it's super common and even if the test is negative, you still need to take the same precautions because of other parasites.

Enjoy your bear meat. Looking forward to any pics or stories from your hunt... caddisguy likes stories

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    What Surrey Boy and monashee said. Internal temperature of 165F is instant death for trichinella or any other parasite, and that is being conservative. A few seconds a 145F is probably safe, but we never chance it.

Bears will always have something, whether you can see it or not. I have always been confused why some people actually pay to get bear meat tested for trichinosis... it's super common and even if the test is negative, you still need to take the same precautions because of other parasites.

Enjoy your bear meat. Looking forward to any pics or stories from your hunt... caddisguy likes stories
    Trichinella? Trichinosis/Rinella hybrid??
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    Trichinella? Trichinosis/Rinella hybrid??
    Lol ... trichinella is the worm, trichinosis is the syndrome when infected

Oh good, thanks guys! That puts my mind at ease. Well done bear sounds delicious! I will post pic and story after I go back to retrieve my binos that I managed to leave on the mountain in all the excitement.

You can also freeze it solid for a month

Quote Originally Posted by Liptugger View Post
    You can also freeze it solid for a month
    I have read this does not work on the trichinella strains found in bears. Apparently they can withstand being frozen for months... here is one citation:

"Unfortunately, the two trichinella species most associated with bears are immune to freezing. These are T. nativa, the Canadian and Alaskan species, and T-6, the dominant species of parasite from a line stretching from about Washington state across to Maine down to the Rockies, the Great Plains, the Midwest and the Northeast — really where all the good bear hunting is. Only southern states appear to be immune to this species. (Here is a map from a Stanford study."

http://honest-food.net/on-trichinosis-in-wild-game/

Yup cook ot like you would stewing beef, or pork. Delish.