Thread: Hooks

Hooks

Hi All,

Looking for a true answer to types of hooks you can use for bottom fish? everything has TRI hooks all ready when u buy them in a store. I am shore casting bait and wait.....

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/r...S-2016-eng.pdf

Lingcod or if lucky "IF" flounder or halibut

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hooks

Regulations vary by area. For specifics, check here: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.html

For bottom fish you can generally use a treble hook with barbs. Personally, I rarely use treble hooks even when allowed because it's too hard on the fish. A single barbed is almost always sufficient and makes the release much easier.

As you probably know, with salmon you must use single barbless hooks. I like a 3/0 for Chinook, myself.

If you are fishing from shore, I suspect you will have a difficult time hooking a legal ling or halli, but if you're successful I hope you post about it here.

A word of advice: if fisheries checks on the shore they might not believe you when you tell them you're fishing lings, so it might be best just to opt for barbless. I've caught many lings and hallis on barbless (from a boat), and as long as you maintain good technique (rod tip up, tension in your line, let them run if they want to) you'll land most fish.
    A conservationist is an environmentalist with a gun.

Re: Hooks

Thanks TreeStandMan,

I am casting 75m to 100m on a good cast with my 16' Ugly stick, snorkeling I have seen the lings only 80 feet off the shore, I need to get a spear gun this summer season. last season I re hooked a 1.5 foot or they look the same at that age and size lol.