Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange Bear Encounter

Re: Strange Bear Encounter

I saw a large black bear last weekend with a yellow tag in both ears. What's the backstory behind these tags?? Research??
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Sleeping off the effects of being tranquilized and ear tagged ?
    This is a big possibility with the ear tag

also some bears just like to lay in the sun on rocks. And some bears are really dumb lol

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    I saw a large black bear last weekend with a yellow tag in both ears. What's the backstory behind these tags?? Research??
    Your supposed to shoot those ones and mail the whole ear, including tag to Mr Bryce Casavant.

I was up there last weekend and I'd swear I saw the same bear, but he was moving just fine.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

He's sleeping! nothing like taking a nap in the hot sun. A few years ago I was quadding in a remote spot, there was a bear lying beside the road, with his head on the road. I was past him before I was able to stop, so I stopped and looked back, about 15 yards or so. He was sleeping - there was no way he could have slept through me going past him! So I put my quad in reverse and backed up. At about 15 feet or so, he opened one eye to look at me. I decided to get out of there, which I did. Later he was gone. But I think now he was just asleep in the sun, beside the road. Not spooky, probably never been hunted, used to logging and other traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Betting he has a ketamine hangover.

Been there done that... but who hasn't?
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Warm rocks both under and behind, sun beating down, my bet would be just enjoying the day. I watched one last year at 92 yds for a good 20 min., he was sprawled out on a stump with no interest in moving. When I passed the spot again he was up but in no hurry to go anyplace. Bears are lazy F*c*s by nature.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I'm with you FG. He was just chillaxing

Have seen other critters give little reaction to humans or something else non-threatening, but then as soon as out of sight , they book it.
    Its like they feel comfortable as long as they can see something different in their turf.
    Once it was with four goats at about 400 yds, watching us walk up a creek for almost 20 minutes, no threat just running perpendicular not getting closer. As soon as we were out of sight behind a bluff for maybe two minutes they got up and walked away.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Sleeping....nice spot for a cat nap
    …..better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Popular conception is they have horrible eyesight, if he couldn't smell ya he might not have knew you were even there. Move up the road he caught your scent and booked it.
    They do like to sleep in the sun, if they don't see you as a threat no need to move on. I shot one a few years back that laid on his rocky knoll for at least 15 minutes while I watched trying to determine if a shooter or not. He was (well he got shot anyway)....Maybe their mommas didn't raise 'em right.