Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring Bear = College Meat

Re: Spring Bear = College Meat

Nice bear. Great job.

That is a real nice bear ,it is a lot of fun when the adrenaline kicks in. Good eats for school!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckmeister View Post
    Oh yes, I was surprised how much fat was on him, but I don't know what is normal for a bear. We saved a bunch of it and my wife rendered it down for several jars of lard and a jar of cracklings. Yum yum.
    Not sure how much work it is to render down the fat but it is on my list of to-do's for this years bear. I heard it is awesome for baking and for waterproofing boots.

Nice photos. Congratulations!
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Great story and nice bear -- a length of paracord in the pack goes a long way. Congrats to you and your boy!

SB

nice bear thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by hparrott View Post
    Not sure how much work it is to render down the fat but it is on my list of to-do's for this years bear. I heard it is awesome for baking and for waterproofing boots.
    It's not hard at all. We only saved a 4 liter ice cream pail worth of fat. You run it through the meat grinder, then you can render in a pot or a slow cooker. With either one, add 1/4 cup of water. If using a slow cooker, let it do it's thing for around 10 hours, use on high at first then turn down to medium. If using a pot, render for about 1 to 2 hours on medium heat. Stir it every once in awhile. When done, strain into containers using 4 layers of cheesecloth. The stuff left in the cheesecloth is the cracklings. You can either throw the cracklings away, or add some seasonings for taste and deep fry them, or bake in oven for an hour at 350 degrees.

A friend said perogies fried in the lard is pretty good!
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Some claim the fat from around the kidneys has a better flavour than fat from under the hide in the back area.
    Something about the biology of how fat is generated and stored , blah blah blah
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Nice bear. When I was in college I ate a lot of meat. Mostly tasted like chicken smelled like fish. LOL
    Proud member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Hunt,Kill,Eat

Quote Originally Posted by hparrott View Post
    My father in law used to grease his boots with bear fat, he said it worked very well. Until he was at a party and a dog ate his entire boots.