Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LEH hopes and dreams!

Re: LEH hopes and dreams!

Hoping for my third Vancouver Island Roosevelt elk LEH and as usual I apply mulie doe in 8 and moosie in 5.

LEH sucks.

We should get rid of LEH on all but the most intensively managed species (g-bear, some sheep, for example).

The key is to get populations to a level where LEH is unnecessary.

It was only to be used in the Harvest Management Strategy when populations were below sustainable thresholds. Unfortunately, it has been used in many instances on sustainable populations for which data is lacking. Managers have had to resort to overly conservative LEH harvest "just in case."

Hopefully, with the new funding model, we'll see some of this missing data gathered and the reversion of much LEH back to GOS, as it should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Bison, Mule Doe, Moose, Archery Elk but the one I'm feeling good vibrations from is Bighorn sheep. Seems that new Browning hells canyon speed in 6.5 creedmoor wants to head up the mountain.
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon

Quote Originally Posted by BCHunterFSJ View Post
    My dream LEH hunt has always been for a California bighorn...
    If its a dream I hope you are hunting them every year as there are lots of areas that you don't need an LEH to hunt California's.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

I did the regular shared moose, late season bison and elk. No fall sheep tag as I received the 6-29 sheep draw this spring so the LEH gods have already smiled on me

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Whoever is the super duper lucky weener of the (Cali ram in Kammy Lake), bring a bucket of oats and a lassooo haha, hand feed the things up here, full curls, with a turned up tips.
    I can't believe the Rams are open for LEH they roam around like their with lil bo peep.
    Anyway who ever, your one fortunate lucky, hey buy a lottery ticket too lol.
    Jelly Limited Entry Hunting is theee thing for total excitement -- if you hunt BC and don't get excited about LEH, look up to the sky and start weeping.

Not sure why but hunting goats and sheep just don't excite me at all. I am sure they will one day as I evolve as a hunter, but for now I don't think I would drive the 3 hours out to Kamloops if the Kamloops Lake ram was a sure thing.

And for goats... I get the itch to apply every now and then but then the meat hunter in my tells I will burn more calories than there is in a goat just to get one... though I already do that with blacktails at home lol

Funny enough caddisgirl feels the same way. I wonder if anyone can tell us things about goat hunting or sheep hunting that will turn us around? Of course if someone can get me euthusiastic about sheep or goat hunting well be competing for tags lol

I would be interested in grizzly hunting if we had a significant local population and opening... same goes with Bison... bring on the Region 2 Bison !!
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-24-2017 at 01:46 PM.

if you enjoy the challenge of tip toeing along dangerous terrain where downed game may "travel" 4 or 5 hundred yards or more after being shot you will love the action you get with those mountain critters....I really enjoyed the goat meat when I was in on a kill a few years ago and the hunt was a huge challenge but very rewarding...goats are bigger (more meat) than you expect...
    also the coat on a mountain goat is amazing

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    if you enjoy the challenge of tip toeing along dangerous terrain where downed game may "travel" 4 or 5 hundred yards or more after being shot you will love the action you get with those mountain critters....I really enjoyed the goat meat when I was in on a kill a few years ago and the hunt was a huge challenge but very rewarding...goats are bigger (more meat) than you expect...
    also the coat on a mountain goat is amazing
    I think I understand. I just watched a few goat hunt videos on YouTube... a co-worker also showed me a video and some pictures of goats they were seeing on a hike in the Chilcotin region.

Glassing from up high, wondering what's over the next mountain... seeing some goats way over on the next mountain and trying to close the distance... can turn into a heck of a stalk. I can see how that could be exciting.

I was looking at the 3-16 options as that is a little closer to home... not super close, but not bad. I am guessing the drive would be the short part of the commnute... hiking up into the mountains could take a while. It looks like steep country... saving that hour or two of driving probably results in several extra hours of pain. That said I have never had boots on the ground there so I don't really know what it would be like... just speculating.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-24-2017 at 04:22 PM.

Moose, muley doe, a couple sheep options in region 3 (long shots) and goat in region 3 & 2.

FisherDude is right on this one - we should get to a point where LEH isn't needed. Right now it's a function of being one of the levers that they can pull. We need to change that.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey