Thread: A Plethora of Pyrosomes

Thumbs down A Plethora of Pyrosomes

Just back in from the offshore due to a medical issue. Fishery is continuing in my absence.

Just wanted to note a rather annoying Head's Up for West Coast Vancouver Island Fisher Folks:
    We (Area G Troll) have been literally Plagued by a serious scourge of pink sea cucumber like organisms that are at times so thick in number it was impossible to fish. These damn things have invaded the offshore waters from LaPerouse Bank to well north west of Winter Harbor and all points in-between. Did not know until I got home what they even are (none of the old timers ever recall seeing them - ever, and of course the fine folks in The Dino's offices had no ideas to offer either). They are called "Pyrosomes" but may just as well be called serious nuisances. They get wrapped up on your gear, the wire for your downriggers etc and make fishing more than a little of an exercise in frustration.

Here's a few pictures of these damn things:

Flasher was for size comparison.

This was a rather "light" amount of them on the wire. In the water less than ten minutes. Often the gear would come up with several HUNDRED pounds of these damn things!!

They are extremely tide influenced, and have been a major pain in the ass more days than not out there.
    Hope they go away before the sports season kicks off or it is going to be a rather ugly season out there!

More on these things here: https://themarinedetective.com/2017/...omes-say-what/

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: A Plethora of Pyrosomes

wow, interesting find Nog, just when you think you've seen it all. so many creatures in our vast ocean, I wonder how many others there are that have never been seen? its got to be hundreds or thousands?
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Crap! I start guiding in two weeks out of Kyuquot, sure hope that they are gone by then.
    Ross

They look pretty cool at night

Just find a good recipe for them and ship the new delecacy off to China.

Nog i think you need bigger balls on the end of your wire

aka "sea condoms"

The new sueshe?

***ushima?!!

Really....even the actual name of the city gets censored?
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.