Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things you can pick up from handling wild animal meat.

Things you can pick up from handling wild animal meat.

Hey all, I've just been reading up on trichinosis from eating under cooked bears and it got me thinking about other possible bad things you can get from wild game. The only precautions I have ever heard of was tric from bears and when skinning coyotes/wolfs and other predators you need to wear gloves because of parasites . I've heard theres a disease that affects rabbit and you can tell by spots on there liver but not sure if the animal is still good to eat if it does have that disease. If i keep to wearing gloves while butchering and gutting and cook all grouse, rabbits and bears to 160 Celsius and deer and other ungulates to 140 Celsius am I pretty much safe? What do you guys look for in meat? What are your precautions? Any advice, life experience and knowledge is appreciated!
    Lord let me come home bloody, not my own.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Things you can pick up from handling wild animal meat.

I have a compromised immune system courtesy of an autoimmune disease that I have, so I have to be more cautious than most. I wear rubber gloves when there's blood and when handling the meat/body. It's not that I'm afraid of the blood, getting dirty or the raw meat, it's just that I have to be very cautious due to my compromised immune system. What could make one person slightly sick, could make
    me very sick. I also ensure that my meat is thoroughly cooked. With that being said, I've never gotten sick from anything hunting related, even when I was at my sickest and told not to hunt (but I did anyway being the stubborn teen I was lol).

Check out the pamphlet at this link. It lists diseases that my be found in wildlife in our province.

http://www.bccdc.ca/resource-gallery...etymanual1.pdf

I would assume ALL game animals have parasites, just some are more visible than others. That being said I consider wild meat to be the "cleanest" of all possible meat options. Of course I cook bears to well done but will eat ungulates damn near raw, with no fear of sickness. Of course there is risk in anything but I will not be the guy sitting at home worried about the million different things that may or may not happen.
    The most parasite laden animals I have ever seen, by far, are bottom fish like halibut and ling. Salmon as well. For some reason people can turn a blind eye to that, but not 4 legged critters.

Only thing I got was ticks from deer. I'm healthy and have no health problems so I don't use gloves.
    -- Look for blisters or flukes in the deer liver, blisters and bubbles on the liver, not good.
    The carcass look at the meat and it should look normal, but if it has lil purple bumps under the skin then I don't eat.
    -- Other than that I go ahead. Only seen one carcass with bumps and maybe two with liver flukes and blisters.
    Jel -- never got anything from moose, mules, blacktail, bear or grouse, over many decades.
    Last edited by Jelvis; 05-19-2017 at 06:49 AM.

I understand that it is wise to wear rubber gloves when handling and processing game meat to prevent contaminating the meat with bacteria that may be on your hands.

I think you are more likely to get sick from improper food safe handling practices (ie: temperature storage, cross contamination etc), than what is actually in the meat itself.

-- my hands won't harm the meat when skinning ot gutting, only if I get gut material on my hands by slicing the stomach open by cutting too deep or a slip.
    If you had gloves on or not, you can cut the gut and spread contents on hands and then meat.
    Meat itself will only do you good, all wild no steroids or anti anything, all organic venison.
    -- don't put plastic over a warm animal carcass it will bone sour.
    Jel -- make sure you know what and how to gut a deer safely and properly.
    ------------------------- a slip with the warm blood on hand on a sharp hunting knife can happen
    use caution when gutting.

Half my body got paralyzed once for an hour the day after I skinned a bear .

Ungulates can be eaten raw. Predators often contain trichinella and should be cooked, as should white fish as mentioned.

Keep in mind that worms are very treatable and rarely fatal. I'd be more worried about Lyme and heavy metal contamination, but even so, you're more likely to get sick from other people than wild animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..