Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Things you can pick up from handling wild animal meat.

Re: Things you can pick up from handling wild animal meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowabunga View Post
    Check out the pamphlet at this link. It lists diseases that my be found in wildlife in our province.

http://www.bccdc.ca/resource-gallery...etymanual1.pdf
    Cool find, interesting read for a rainy day. I cook all ungulates the same as beef, interesting they say that it should be fully cooked. Been doin it since 1977 so guess I'm playin Russian Roulette?
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Thanks for all the info ! That PDF is a great source if something is off with the deer.
    Lord let me come home bloody, not my own.

15 years ago I got this thing called Guillian Barre Syndrome. They say that it may come from handling dead birds but may have others causes. It was pretty brutal and still has some lingering effects

I've cut myself dozens of times while handling bears... even when cleaning a skull using water + bacteria rot method... so far nothing more than a localized infection.

I had some stomach issues last year and was treated for h. pylori (not related to animals or hunting) and I have been mostly ok ever since.

I have been bitten by dozens of ticks... 100+ in the last 5 years actually... still no bulls-eye rash but I realize that doesn't happen all the time.

I have been tested for trichinosis once and presented no antibodies. I eat bear meat based meals probably 1/3 of the year. I've goofed a few times realizing I have not cooked it enough. And keep in mind, the vast majority of trich cases go un-noticed... few present symptoms and fatality rate is comparative to influenza... cook to 165F and you are safe 100% of the time.

There is no point in ever testing bear meat for trich. It's a scam, period. Trich is only one of many nasties that can appear in bear meat. All bears carry stuff that will mess you up. Tape worms can mess you up way worse than trich. You just need to cook it to 165 and you have nothing to worry about. No medium rare bear steaks. Consider it 100 lbs of sausage, burgers, etc. Treat it like you would chicken or pork.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-21-2017 at 07:05 PM.

-- I don't eat bear, I quit shooting bear after the second black I got.
    I figured don't eat em don't shoot em, I had one head mount and gave meat to nay bore.
    - I had some from my first bear and it was not my bag so eat deer every year.
    I dint want worms crawling around in my intestines, like eels eating my inards and my scrotum.
    It scared the crap outta me!
    ---- Just different tastes, some of my relatives love pork, and I only like the bacon.
    No pork roasts for me
    Jel -- I shot the Sheriff -- I saw Sheriff John Smith aiming at me, it was self defense
    butt I did not shoot the deputy -- it was my quick reflex's -- not me
    -------- You can only drive down main street so many times --
    Last edited by Jelvis; 05-21-2017 at 08:26 PM. Reason: RAW BEAR can have Trick ah Nose sis --

Great article on that in the current (MAY/JUNE) issue of Western Woods & Waters magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by luger View Post
    If i keep to wearing gloves while butchering and gutting and cook all grouse, rabbits and bears to 160 Celsius and deer and other ungulates to 140 Celsius am I pretty much safe?d!
    Just to clarify, your temperatures should be in Fahrenheit, not Celsius. A moose steak cooked to 140C would be like chewing a wallet.
    That said, I like ungulates as rare as rare can be, never had a problem.