Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Northern interior bear sizes

Re: Northern interior bear sizes

Amen Todbartell

Measure your bear by skull size. As Srupp says, lots of stretching can make a bear what you want it to be.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Allways been a fresh hide not pulled.
    I I'm gonna try a new area soon just been really small bears so far.

the very reason two tags are available.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Honestly I think the guys who claim to see multiple 6'+ bears each time they go out need glasses, lessons in measuring bears or both.
    Actually had one guy tell me he measured from paw to paw diagonally lol.
    I've hunted up there over 30 years. In all that time I've seen 2 bears I believe to have been 7 feet, one still haunts me. Lots of bears over 6 feet, but over many years. Most bears are under 6 feet.
    Of course talking black bears only here.
    Twist and pull.

Gotta agree with this. 2 monster black bears I've seen in my life .... possibly were 7ft. The rest of big bears I see look 5-6 ft and I'm ok with that.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I just spent 6 days of hunting northern bears. I seen an honest 7'er, color phase, out of 45 different bears in 6 days! Several bears were 6'ers or just over, the rest were smaller 5-6'ers or less, or sows with Cubs. What I really noticed though, was that every sow/cub set were twins or triplets!!!!!! So kill a couple cause the population is doing very well!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    I just spent 6 days of hunting northern bears. I seen an honest 7'er, color phase, out of 45 different bears in 6 days! Several bears were 6'ers or just over, the rest were smaller 5-6'ers or less, or sows with Cubs. What I really noticed though, was that every sow/cub set were twins or triplets!!!!!! So kill a couple cause the population is doing very well!! Moosin
    Yes, don't be shy about killing some calf killing black bears!! OP, there are some big black bears around Quesnel, but not as common as on the north island.

Question- how much will a bear hide shrink when it gets tanned?

Well, it depends on what you mean by shrink. If you measured it as described above, freshly skinned, laid out flat (not stretched), then squared (which means the average of the width and the length), you will have what is supposed to be a comparable measurement, and in my experience, that won't really shrink. Black bears for sure are much wider than they are long. My first Grizz I measured in the field as 7' 3" squared, and that is what it came back as.