Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Reason for low ungulate populations

Re: Reason for low ungulate populations

Here is the grizz 5 minutes after the moose came through.

Great pics there CHB........

Interesting picture of this boar marking his territory.

guest Guest

Magnificent share CHB!

Very cool pics .......

goes to show the amount of meat eaters with small areas ........and A huge part of any management plan ......
    Last edited by guest; 05-19-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Unbelievable hillbilly.....that's a ton of competition in a few short miles. Must be some smart moose to survive that gauntlet of meat eaters everyday. Either that of just passing through, QUICKLY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ROY-alty33 View Post
    Unbelievable hillbilly.....that's a ton of competition in a few short miles. Must be some smart moose to survive that gauntlet of meat eaters everyday. Either that of just passing through, QUICKLY!!!
    Not many calves make it through this gauntlet. Our calf survival rate is next to nothing along this corridor. As you can see there are more grizz then black bears.

Was at the cabin in 6-04 for a week, saw 32 different bears, 2 sows had triplets one a pair and numerous others with just 1. Also saw the most cow moose at this time of year than i have seen in a few years, hardly any wolf sign like they have moved on. CO shot a sow grizz and her 2 cubs as she was teaching them how good the ranchers sheep were.

Wow CHB, you have a predator problem big time. That Grizz in your last pic is a monster! I suspect many areas in BC are like this. Pictures of all these grizzlies is why I'm arguing their populations are too high. There is no question that the grizzly hunt is sustainable. If this hunt ends then their populations will continue to grow, ungulate populations will decline, human conflicts will increase and sadly CO's will be shooting more...
    Live to Hunt...

I am with you on this....the changing landscape due to logging is probably the biggest factor...
    and yes, it allows the preds to be more efficient.
    Hard for a deer to get away when they fall thru the snow when levels are high, due to no old growth around anymore.
    Or, they have to move elsewhere....just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Agree 100%.

Some thoughts....
    A few of my better big WT buck areas have low to moderate WT numbers yet they seem to have a lot of preds.
    It may not be the number of deer that are in the area but their huntability that is drawing in cats and bears.....and now wolves have recently moved in (and the endless stream of coyotes)

Perhaps it is the changing landscape......my WT areas are being logged extensively.
    Is this making these locations more efficient hunting grounds for tooth and claw competitors thus the increased traffic?
    Some of the things that run thru my head, when I see areas I know well, that have considerable ebbs and flows in numbers and balance......what are the drivers?

My numerous cams give me a good account of what animals are in any given area I hunt.

What I don't know and only can speculate on is why the swings...what's the cause, the drivers.
    We mostly speculate.

Crazy good pics CHB.They gotta let out more Grizz LEH for that area.Seen a sow grizz with two cubs along the lake not that long ago.