Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reason for low ungulate populations

Hybrid View

Reason for low ungulate populations

I had this one camera out almost 3 weeks.
    I had four deer walk by.
    I had more types of predators then I had deer.
    2 black bear boars, two grizzly boars, one old and one young. two cougar and two wolves. Plus a couple yotes!

2. Site Sponsor

guest Guest

Re: Reason for low ungulate populations

Wow terrific photos CHB...... Thanks for the share.

more and more a bigger piece if the puzzle. Get out there and wack some press folks.

Good pics Chicoltin HB, thanks for the share.
    And welcome to the reality that is the pred issue in some areas of BC.
    It is troubling and concerning when you consistently get samplings of diverse preds that seem to be disproportional to prey in a given area.

I am not jumping to conclusions but the number of cats and BB I get on cam is nuts.
    I recently posted a video here with a pack of 5 cougars rolling by.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

The big grizz looks like it means business. awesome pics thanks

Have to wonder what all these predators are eating with low ungulate numbers? Hope to put the hurt on a black bear this weekend....
    Live to Hunt...

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    Have to wonder what all these predators are eating with low ungulate numbers? Hope to put the hurt on a black bear this weekend....
    Agree 100%.

Some thoughts....
    A few of my better big WT buck areas have low to moderate WT numbers yet they seem to have a lot of preds.
    It may not be the number of deer that are in the area but their huntability that is drawing in cats and bears.....and now wolves have recently moved in (and the endless stream of coyotes)

Perhaps it is the changing landscape......my WT areas are being logged extensively.
    Is this making these locations more efficient hunting grounds for tooth and claw competitors thus the increased traffic?
    Some of the things that run thru my head, when I see areas I know well, that have considerable ebbs and flows in numbers and balance......what are the drivers?

My numerous cams give me a good account of what animals are in any given area I hunt.

What I don't know and only can speculate on is why the swings...what's the cause, the drivers.
    We mostly speculate.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Agree 100%.

Some thoughts....
    A few of my better big WT buck areas have low to moderate WT numbers yet they seem to have a lot of preds.
    It may not be the number of deer that are in the area but their huntability that is drawing in cats and bears.....and now wolves have recently moved in (and the endless stream of coyotes)

Perhaps it is the changing landscape......my WT areas are being logged extensively.
    Is this making these locations more efficient hunting grounds for tooth and claw competitors thus the increased traffic?
    Some of the things that run thru my head, when I see areas I know well, that have considerable ebbs and flows in numbers and balance......what are the drivers?

My numerous cams give me a good account of what animals are in any given area I hunt.

What I don't know and only can speculate on is why the swings...what's the cause, the drivers.
    We mostly speculate.
    There is no question in my mind that logging, particularly roads has increased predator movement. Just look at that Banff wolf that travelled 500kms in two weeks.

Here in the WK we have seen heavy predator numbers over the past several years. We are seeing less and less deer, moose and elk but yet the pred numbers haven't changed much? It just has to but knowing how far wolves will go leaves me to wonder...
    Live to Hunt...

I am with you on this....the changing landscape due to logging is probably the biggest factor...
    and yes, it allows the preds to be more efficient.
    Hard for a deer to get away when they fall thru the snow when levels are high, due to no old growth around anymore.
    Or, they have to move elsewhere....just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Agree 100%.

Some thoughts....

We mostly speculate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    I think it's safe to say all preds are opportunists. They will eat veggies and small game until the opportunity arrives for a larger high protein meal.

Awesome pics CHB...my take on it is yes we need to do our part to take out some preds, as well as support the other drivers of ungulate populations of course such as habitat etc...that being said, you would think that at some point soon, with some of these areas becoming predator pits, that the number of preds will come crashing down...here's to hoping...