Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stalking footwear

Stalking footwear

Hey everyone,

I was out bear hunting on vancouver island this last weekend and brought my bow with me and I quickly realized I am never going to get close enough stalking a bear (or any animal) on a road with the amount of noise it makes. My boots seem louder than my old ones and I know they have hard soles, but im sure my old ones wouldnt be quite enough either.
    Anyone have any tricks for stalking quietly on roads or other surfaces?

Thanks!
    - A hunter who doesn't bring home the meat is just an outdoor enthusiast

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Stalking footwear

Hover board

Take boots off add a couple old pair of wool socks and sneak in!

If your just on the road, walking easy. I've used Under Armor Runners. Not the ones with the rubber soles but the ones that seem kinda foamy. (or any ultra light runner). I do plan on trying to find a pair of huge wool socks I can put over my size 14 hikers someday but alas my grandma no longer knits and I cant find socks big enough...

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Similar to what "Chillybilly" mentioned, when walking/stalking while bow hunting I wear
    a cut down pair of winter boot felt liners taped at my ankles and then pull on a couple of
    pairs of thick old wool work socks. The plus side is that I can walk about as quiet as a bear,
    and the down side is that the setup wicks in water and branches tend to latch onto the socks.
    I've been able to sneak right up to deer without them hearing me. My setup doesn't allow
    for as much slippage, has more traction, and doesn't wear thin like just wearing socks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillybilly View Post
    Take boots off add a couple old pair of wool socks and sneak in!
    This. For the last 100 yards the boots always come off. It has really upped my game.
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

Thick socks work but I often just wear sneakers if the terrain is not rough

The main thing I find with those new to bow hunting is they need to learn how to shift the weight on their feet and slow down and watch where they place their feet. This is way more important than the footwear it self. Than add in the path they choose during the stalk. To get really close it is a different ball game

take your time and pay attention to everything that can cover your noise and movement. If you make a mistake pause and don't continue till the animal calms down again. Don't be afraid to crawl super slow. Read the animals reaction to every movement you make

It takes time and lots of failed stalks to get good. Since I was a young kid my dad would send me to see how close I could get to random animals we were not hunting this is what I credit to my ability to getting close. Practice and screwing up and trying new things is the best way

Bears are easy if the wind is good and they are feeding. They are very forgiving if you go really slow and pause if you make a sound. They settle faster than any other animal I have stalked. But if you spot them well driving they are more alert and less forgiving

There is no magic piece of gear that will increase your success on stalks. Practice and failing over and over till you dial in your skills is what will increase success. It's not a race and the more effort you put in to stay out of sight and silent the better

a trick for bears wear a black sweater during a stalk down a road so they think your another bear

I'm use to bare feet on gravel and wild rose bushes in the cariboo. I usually rock flip flops, until I gotta sneak in. Barring that, I wait for them to come to me. Or lead poison them.

Thanks for all the input, good idea on the black sweater Wild One. My hunting boots cumbersome to tie and untie so maybe switch to other footwear when I know ill be stalking and put my hunting boots on when I get something or know ill be on a long hike. Anyone try jimmy-rigging some oven mits over their boots?
    - A hunter who doesn't bring home the meat is just an outdoor enthusiast

Once determined to be a shooter, the serious stalk when bow hunting is in wool socks and wool pants (for advancing quietly on the knees)
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom