Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stalking footwear

Re: Stalking footwear

I use Bama socks, they are liners for work boots. A bit better than wool socks in that they don't pick up stuff. I put them on as soon as I feel like I'm near fresh sign. work great for me. Slippery on pine grass though. If you put gortex sock in them, you could even keep your feet dry. I'm just too cheap.

Can't beat socks, especially if you're just day hunting. Feet won't hurt during the stalk because you're heart will be jacked up. The trip back to your boots usually kill the feet though!
    Thunderstick Moab hybrid longbow T/D 58" 52#@28". Jim Reynolds
    Crow Creek Crow Mag hybrid longbow 3/pc 60" 51#@28". Elmer Patton

Field editor @ Journal of Mountain Hunting

Just on a lark, I tried my felt soled wading boots. Worked great so I glued felts to a pair of old light weight hunting boots. Worked even better! I highly recomend
    this as the felt grips onto anything. Cheers,
    Hank

I find if possible while closing the gap wearing boots I prefer to walk on the grass or moss on the edge of the road rather than the road itself. Also practice picking up your feet and setting them down flat if on gravel a lesson taught to me by mentor, its amazing how much less noise you will make.
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon

Bass pro socks, keep the bill they will replace for life good luck kill a big one

LL Beane rubber bottomed boots are fairly quiet.......The chain tread is soft enough to stalk bears on most logging roads if you go slow. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    a trick for bears wear a black sweater during a stalk down a road so they think your another bear
    On hands and knees I suppose? waiting for the video

they need to learn how to shift the weight on their feet and slow down and watch where they place their feet
    Be a toe-walker instead of a heel-walker
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post

I've used a black umbrella to hide behind on a stalk on b-bears. Works great.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

All great info already posted but what I do is I have an old pair of huge thick wool socks, and I'm able to pull over my boots, I cut a slit in the top of the sock to slide over the boots easier, also stalk up the side of the road on grass if possible, still being patient on your stalk watching your footing, play the wind, if the winds working in your favour that's a bonus to help cover your sound and most importantly scent!! I also have a pair of wiggie down bootys I wanted to try this spring.
    Backwoods

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post

No need to get on your hands and knees. It's an old trick lots of guides use and works

they want let you get so close that you can sniff their butt but it does make a bear second guess what you are