Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10'-12' flat bottom boats ?

Re: 10'-12' flat bottom boats ?

I went to Cabelas in WA for my duck hunting rig. Can't remember what I paid exactly but I remember it was WAAYY cheaper than anything I could find up here, brand new and unscuffed.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I scour craigslist in the late mid/summer to research prices, and then fall/winter I hunt for deals. There are lots to be had if you're patient and willing to wait.

And actually, now that I had time to stew on it, I came across a 12' aluminum with a merc 9.9 2 stroke that fired up right away for $500 last fall, and another 14' fibreglass with a 30hp Evinrude that had been totally overhauled including a new Bimini for $900. I typically look for the bigger jet boats and fibreglass cuddy/bowriders but I remember stumbling into those and thinking they were great value.

Cascade in Chilliwack used to be the place to buy in the Fraser valley, but since the owner died they haven't been as big on the boats. They still sell the smaller stuff, but there aren't any $80k jets in stock any more. They do still sell Lowe and Marlon boats. Lowe is a better built boat IMO, but they are tippy. I had a 1032 for years and I only fell out of it once (I was sh*t faced drunk and tried to throw a dead pike minnow back at a buddy.... timberrrrr). Otherwise it was a sweet rig. I had a little 4hp CDI 2 stroke for it and I had it out on a couple lakes in white caps with myself and another big guy and it handled well. There isn't a lot of room for error in a boat like that but if you can run a canoe then the 1032 is a cake walk. Also VERY light (around 80 lbs).

The Marlon is a good boat, but made in Jyna (trump says China). They are built pretty much the same as a Lowe but thinner material in places. This is to accommodate their extreme wideness and stability. A bigger boat like that needs thinner material to keep the weight down so it is a compromise. The marlon will also take a bigger motor and carry more people (although I fished 3 out of my 1032 on a few occasions).

Another good option is a spratley. Stable, well built, but heavier than your first girlfriend. Most guys like to trailer them for that reason.

If I bought another punt tomorrow I would buy a 10 or 12 foot Marlon john boat. Go new if you can. Much nicer on your equipment (rods, vests, waders) in a *smooth* and *clean* hull.

My 2 cents

The 1032 even served as our house boat tender years ago. She made the 2 1/2 hour round trip back to the do to the dock to pickup our forgotten keg tap that weekend.... what a champ it was.
    Last edited by ryanonthevedder; 05-22-2017 at 07:46 AM.

If <$1000 is the budget I'd be looking at an inflatable
    Last edited by boxhitch; 05-22-2017 at 08:11 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Buy a spratley and never look back! I have a 10' with a 8hp Yamaha. It is a absolute dream to fish out of and wouldn't change a thing about it! It's not light, but with the extra weight comes strength to put up to a 9.9 on it as well as the stability is incredible!

I have a G3 10 ft ..stable little boat ..i love it.
    Midnight toker

Quote Originally Posted by Sunzuki View Post
    I called them today.
    The 10-40 is priced near $1150.00
    Then the taxes add a bunch to this.
    Going to snoop the Kijiji and such to try and curtail this amount
    by a bunch.

I found a few lakes up here not needing a 14' trailered boat and the
    wee 8' I borrowed is a tad small for my liking.

Thanks for the replies.

Go for the 1040 if you're looking just for you. They now have the 1240 if you need to take the Grand kids. The 1040 is REALLY popular around the loops these days as it can slide right into the bed of your pickup easily and has lots of room and is stable. Most guys want $9-1000 for a used jon or 1500+ for a old Spratley so its worth the money for buying new IMO. I would get a 1040 if I didn't have a jon already.

Been looking lots too, just priced out a new g3, trailer and 5horse out the door for less then 6k. Going to keep cruising the by and sells for now lol

I have owned a Lowes 1232 for around 10 years now.
    Bought new for around $1000 at the time.
    80lb boat I can carry by myself.
    Weight capacity is very limited.
    2 fat guys push the limit of this boat.
    This is not the boat to take on a lake if their is any kind of chop. It caters to the small interior lakes the best.

I was thinking of selling it as I just picked up a 12ft v hull boat, but this Jon boat owes me absolutely nothing and I'll just keep it.