Thread: Scope ring advice

Scope ring advice

I'm putting together my new rifle and have decided on a Tikka T3X stainless in .308 with a vortex viper HS 2.5 X 10-44. This will primarily be my blacktail gun which is why it's light and short. Also why I want the 2.5 for close quarters dark timber.

What scope rings would you guys recommend for this setup? Anything else I should be considering? This gear seems to be all the same price in the lower mainland e.g. Cabela's, Wholesael, Reliable etc. IS there some places that will do a better setup than others? I realize I'll still have to sight it in etc. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

J

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Scope ring advice

I've been using a Talley rail and Burris Signiture Zee rings on the Tikka T3's I have.

They are aluminum so fairly light, they do not mar the scope tube, and the inserts afford you more elevation if you choose.

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/P...ils/Tikka.aspx

http://www.burrisoptics.com/signature-rings
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Talleys on NEARLY ever rifle i own ! jmo RJ

I have warne on my T3 varmint with the recoil pin. Have not moved in about 700 rounds topped with a vortex HST 6-24×50.I like Talley rings as well.
    Forgot to mention to install yourself. I have a inch lb torque screw driver and a few levels. I do all my own mounting and would never trust a gun shop to mount my optic. It's easy once you have done it a few times.
    Last edited by savagecanuck; 05-13-2017 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by savagecanuck View Post
    I have warne on my T3 varmint with the recoil pin. Have not moved in about 700 rounds topped with a vortex HST 6-24×50.I like Talley rings as well.
    Forgot to mention to install yourself. I have a inch lb torque screw driver and a few levels. I do all my own mounting and would never trust a gun shop to mount my optic. It's easy once you have done it a few times.
    Agree...I don't trust them either.
    But do one ting if you do it yourself...
    Before you tighten them up....do a few practice rounds...meaning...
    close your eyes, and then shoulder your rifle, just like you would do to shoot a at say "a running buck".
    Meaning, a quick rifle to shoulder move, rest your cheek where you would set that....
    Make sure the butt of the rifle is tight into your shoulder...and then....open your eyes....
    If the scope is a perfect circle when looking thru, then the scope is the right distance away for you.
    If you don't see the "perfect circle", you will have to determine whether the scope is still to close to you...or...
    it is to far away from you...
    You have to move it to the position that works for the way "you hold the rifle".
    Best way I found was to shoulder with eyes closed until I get the positioning right...IMO

Talley, Leupold, Burris, Warne are all good, but I would use "steel" only...IMO

Talley makes a nice screw lock detachable in steel... picked up a set for a 26mm scope .. dealt with them directly... super nice to deal with and fast shipping... my first time with the Talleys..very good quality rings and bases.

Go Talley 30mm Lows, I use the 44mm Viper on my Tikka with these rings
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

One piece Talleys on both my center fire rifles.
    I bought my last set off Amazon.ca and had them at my door with free shipping within 2 days. Easy and quick. Price was on par with the shops that didn't have the ones I needed.

I use the vortex tactical and Night force rings on my scopes. something a little beefier and has 4 bolts per ring seem to work for me, I've never lost a zero and definitely had a few bumps and drops. don't cheap out on rings. its what mates your expensive stuff together. Buying the cheapest rings might leave you thinking your gun isn't accurate or your scope is crap.