Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullet choice 45-70 bear defense

Re: Bullet choice 45-70 bear defense

Does anyone have real world exp with bullet choice?
    Only back in the days of Rem 405s and 22" barrels on an 1895 and a problem griz.
    Now he wasn't a modern, slobbering, mouth-foaming, roaring, enraged zombie bear like everyone fears, but he died quick enough
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Only back in the days of Rem 405s and 22" barrels on an 1895 and a problem griz.
    Now he wasn't a modern, slobbering, mouth-foaming, roaring, enraged zombie bear like everyone fears, but he died quick enough
    ha! It apears that Tod Bartells modern research states that one should avoid rem 405's, but you have used with good success!? Apparently bears and bullets of modern times are changing... or the bullet research has become more scientific?
    Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    How would you compare the hornady 250gr to the 325gr? I simply bought the 325gr cause it was the cheapest on the shelf? I found the 325gr easy to shoot so far.
    It WAY out penetraes the 325 FTX and holds together where the SOFT jacketed 325 peels a part - its just a cup and core bullet that 325 gr - CHEAP bullet - OK for LUNG shots etc That 250 gr MONO FLEX at 2000 fps + shoots pretty flat too ( LOL ) compared to the big Chunks !

Cheers Jim

Apparently bears and bullets of modern times are changing
    the only things that have changed are marketing ploys and internet parroting

Give Sterling Cross Defense Systems a call and see what they have, they are in Abbotsford I believe.
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Side to side lung shots are not bear defense. Close, hasty, high stress shots at centre of head on are. Penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    Side to side lung shots are not bear defense. Close, hasty, high stress shots at centre of head on are. Penetration.
    I suspect if I ever need to shoot it will be a close hasty head on shot. I want a bullet that will do maximum damage from a less then ideal shot placement.

I shoot the buffalo bore ammo out of my guide gun and have been thoroughly impressed. Do a search online. I ordered them from a gun store in Alberta

allan, you could build your own quality loads on the cheap with a Lee Loader Kit, easy to use with straight wall brass wholesalesports.com/store/Classic-Lee-Loader/p/210836
    Then the bullet choices really go up, BB 405 gr ~$0.40 each
    this guy does a good demo youtube.com/watch?v=rpV7Qg6zs-M

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    allan, you could build your own quality loads on the cheap with a Lee Loader Kit, easy to use with straight wall brass wholesalesports.com/store/Classic-Lee-Loader/p/210836
    Then the bullet choices really go up, BB 405 gr ~$0.40 each
    this guy does a good demo youtube.com/watch?v=rpV7Qg6zs-M
    I'm only gonna use this gun for self defense, or security when packing out or processing an animal and a camp gun when in the bush. I just need a hard hitting bullet choice that I can trust to take of things if it starts to go sideways. I've had things go sideways once before while hunting on my own. I don't want to have it happen twice.
    I have too many other things keeping me busy most days that I don't want to learn to build bullets. I already build my own arrows and that's enough for me
    Last edited by allan; 05-13-2017 at 09:32 PM.