Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bullet choice 45-70 bear defense

Re: Bullet choice 45-70 bear defense

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    For lack of time and convenience I will prob stop by cabbelas and pick up a box of hsm bear loads, thanks for everyone's input
    I'm a big guy so I hope the recoil won't be that hard to deal with.
    I plink with a 30-30 so lever action is something I'm used to.
    You might be a Big Fellow but you will really feel the pain after a few rounds of my 540 gr Cast Train Stoppers (1595 fps from a Light guide gun ! LOL RJ

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post

that bear was actually shot with a Speer 400gr flat nose, as per his story on HBC many many years ago
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    that bear was actually shot with a Speer 400gr flat nose, as per his story on HBC many many years ago
    I've tried a bunch of different loads in my Marlin 1895 guide gun and I keep coming back to 405 grain hard cast. I load my own but if I didn't have the time I would get some of the Bullet Barn 390 grain, or if you feel brave 525 grain ammo. Either does the job. Funny thing about snap shots is you don't feel the recoil until later. Adrenalin I guess.

Not according to the proof I have! Please provide your version of the story!

I recognized the guy, a HBC member, by the photo on another HBC thread & he admitted that it was him on the Garrett's website shooting the grizz with the 540 gr. around 2005.

TROPHY PAGE
    http://www.garrettcartridges.com/trophiesus1.html
    Last edited by mpotzold; 05-16-2017 at 01:29 AM.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Not according to the proof I have! Please provide your version of the story!
    I know Tyler. He posted the original story on the early days of huntingbc before we lost some threads during a crash. Also on the now defunct HuntShoot forum.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    You might be a Big Fellow but you will really feel the pain after a few rounds of my 540 gr Cast Train Stoppers (1595 fps from a Light guide gun ! LOL RJ
    What he said
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I know Tyler. He posted the original story on the early days of huntingbc before we lost some threads during a crash. Also on the now defunct HuntShoot forum.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Maybe you were thinking of this thread from 2010 where Tyler used a 400 gr Speer on a black bear. See post#12
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ht=tyler+serle
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Ha ha! I hope that if push comes to shove I won't ever need more then one (or two rounds) to get the job done. I don't plan on shooting all day long with these bullets.
    What's your definition of a light guide gun? Supposedly my gun weighs about 8 lbs but I have not bothered to weigh it as I don't see the point since it is what it is

Thanks for the reply.
    Maybe you were thinking of this thread from 2010 where Tyler used a 400 gr Speer on a black bear. See post#12
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ht=tyler+serle
    no, I am not mistaken. He sent the pic to Garrett for some publicity, changed the bullet used in his story to them. Why would he use Speer on black bear if he had Garrett ammo? doesn't matter to me, I don't care that much. Obviously the hard cast bullets are lethal, I will not contest that

no, I am not mistaken. He sent the pic to Garrett for some publicity, changed the bullet used in his story to them. Why would he use Speer on black bear if he had Garrett ammo? doesn't matter to me, I don't care that much. Obviously the hard cast bullets are lethal, I will not contest that
    Thanks for the clarification. We'll just leave it at that.

According to the PM he sent me the grizz was shot 5 years before the blackie.
    Cant believe how many hunting forums had the wrong info.