Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bullet choice 45-70 bear defense

Re: Bullet choice 45-70 bear defense

Noted
    then HSM's from Cabelas.ca would be easiest.

Cancel that. Bullet Barn has some loaded 390 gr'ers, that may be hot enough for the task
    Last edited by boxhitch; 05-14-2017 at 09:40 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I built two custom lever bear defence rifles 20+years ago, a Marlin 336-1895, straight grip and a Miroku-Win. 1886, both with ghost and post sights and other mods.

I handloaded for these and tried Alaska Bullet Works 405 Kodiak bonded bullets, Swift A-Frames and BB-405s. I used H-322, H-4198 and AA-2230, loaded warm and chrono'd some impressive MVs.

I am used to shooting .338WM, 9.3 and .375H&H rifles, but, found that I could never shoot these lever guns or any of my others from field positions as well as I could my bolt rifles. So, when I began to sell off my guns in 2011, these were the first to go.

The issue is that with "bear loads" these lever rifles KICK HARD and unless you can/do shoot them a LOT, it is hard to shoot them FAST and WELL.....as in an encounter with a Grizzly intent on munching your carcass.

So, all romantic notions aside, from rather extensive experience, I would tend to forgo the .45-70 and get a good, light .30-06 or .308Win. for a "camp gun" which is MUCH easier to shoot well and practice. My reason is that IF you do NOT handload, the cost of practice ammo for the .45-70 will preclude your practicing as much as is needed.

Many of the working "pro" bush people I know have come to this same conclusion. YMMV, but food for thought??????

The very reason so many guide guns become available with little usage, Average Joe can't tolerate the abuse from 'hot bear loads'.
    I will always be a fan of a normal 1895 22" barrel shooting 350-400 gr bullets near the 14-16 00 fps
    comfortable and very effective on problems and just fun to shoot.

Must admit though, my latest is a 6 lb 30-06 in the scabbard

but thats a whole 'nuther topic
    Last edited by boxhitch; 05-14-2017 at 06:23 AM.

[QUOTE=allan;1904835]I bought bought myself a 45-70 to try something different then a slug gun, for a camp gun and a backup for grizzly bear and the like. I'm not reloading, I just want to buy something off the shelf that's hard hitting at close range. Less then 80yrds.
    Does anyone have real world exp with bullet choice?
    I'm currently shooting Hornady LEVERevolution 325gr ftx to get the feel of the gun but don't have an opinion on stopping power of such a cartridge yet.[/QUOTE]

Over the last 10 years saw moose & deer drop in their tracks using the 325 gr. Leverevolution with only 1 shot needed. Impressive.

Wanted that extra insurance if faced with a mammoth grizz that wants to kill me.
    Garretts 540gr. was recommended.

So went to see Garrett near Seattle to buy the cartridges. Randy was a real friendly guy explaining why the large meplat, solid, slow moving was “the magic bullet” when facing a “ kill or be killed” scenario.
    He had many photos of hunter’s successes using his ammo on his office wall.
    One was of Tyler Serle a HBC member.

His story in stopping a large grizz charge using a 540gr.
    "This grizzly was killed in Spatsizi Plateau Wilderness Park in the Eagle Nest Mountain Range of Northern British Columbia. He squared over 8 feet and the skull measured 23 13/16'', which is very good size for an interior mountain grizzly bear. When I shot the bear, he had started a charge from about 70 yards away, and by the time I had a sight on him, he was 40 yards. The 540 Hammerhead hit him right between the front legs, and he did a complete front-wards flip after the bullet hit him. That bullet completely penetrated him lengthwise and exited. I made a follow up shot (which was unnecessary, just instinct) after he rolled which angled through the chest, took out a section of spine, and exited the top of his skull (if you look closely at the photo you can see the exit hole in his head). Very impressive bullet performance."

Another example-I shot instant death - Marlin 45-70 using Buffalo bore 405 grain jacketed lead bullet.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffDngrAe1Ww

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Bullet Barn is loading 45/70 cartridges, 390 gr'ers supposed to shoot around the 1700 fps speed , and excellent choice and a good price too boot

Try the bullet Barne on the island, they sell cast bullets and also reloaded ammo.
    Last edited by Mosin; 05-15-2017 at 04:32 PM.

have shot several blacks with my 45-70 . I use a Hornady 450 Gr, Round nose . you well be shocked how fast that bear drops and the size of the hole .

I have shot 300 grain hard cast bullets I got from the bullet barn for my 44 Rem mag. Out of my carbine they moved away about 1400 fps. I've never killed an animal with them, but did some penetration testing into live fir. They easily penetrated anything I shot. I would have confidence in that combo for bear defence. Much less recoil than a 45/70 too
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Cant go wrong with Garrett or Buffalo Bore cartridges.

For lack of time and convenience I will prob stop by cabbelas and pick up a box of hsm bear loads, thanks for everyone's input
    I'm a big guy so I hope the recoil won't be that hard to deal with.
    I plink with a 30-30 so lever action is something I'm used to.
    Last edited by allan; 05-15-2017 at 09:25 PM.